Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1945 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100845 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 43 Peiper Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
The earliest known owners of this house were Harry J. & Olive Woodward in 1928' their ownership continued through at least 1938. The home was owned by Anne M. Fischer, whose husband, Arthur, had passed away, in 1948. In 1958, the owners were William E. & Eva Jones; he was a seaman.

This residence is a good and intact example of the Tudor Revival style. It is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two story house is generally rectangular in plan and is clad with stucco veneer and wood clapboard with cast stone detailing. It has a side gabled roof with a prominent front wing with returned eaves. The front (north) façade is dominated by the stucco-clad half-timbered front gable and cast stone entry vestibule. The entry is off-centered with a sloping overhanging roof, formed by the overhanging eaves of the primary side-gabled bay. The vestibule is partially enclosed, and includes an arched diamond-patterned metal sash window on its east wall. The front gable, right of the entry, includes a semi-hexagonal four-part bay window unit on the first story comprised of nine-light metal sash casement windows, each with a three-light transom. The second story gable is overhanging slightly with half-timbering details surrounding a band of three six-light metal sash casement windows with bracketed wood casings. Clapboard siding is beneath the gable peak. To the left of the entry is a corner window unit comprised of four nine-light casement sash windows. Cladding on this bay includes half-timbered stucco beneath the windows and clapboard above. A sloped shed-roofed dormer sits above the entry with a fixed six-light metal sash window.   Secondary facades contain similar materials and fenestration as the primary façade, although some windows have been replaced. The east façade includes an enclosed side porch with a secondary entry, and the west wall has an exterior brick chimney.

Detail for 1945 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100845 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1945 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100845 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0