Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1929 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100825 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 43 Matter Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
The earliest known owners were Vern D. & Lena Harrison in 1928; he was a salesman for Pacific States Electric Co. They remained at least through 1948. The owners in 1858 were Richard T. & Chloe Eisen, a buyer for the Bon Marche. This is a generally intact (though slightly altered) example of the Tudor Revival style, and is a contributing element to the Montlake Historic District.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This 1.5 story house is generally square in plan, is clad with half-timbered stucco veneer and wood shingles, and has a side gabled roof with a front gabled wing. The half timbering is not evident in 1938 photographs. The gabled, stucco-clad entry vestibule is nearly centered on the front (north) façade It has a rectangular door, and a slightly arched surround with a gable peak.1938 photos show a flat roof and no gable. To the left of the entry, on the stucco-clad front gable unit, are two 6-over-1 double-hung wood frame sash. An arcaded wing wall extends to the east. To the right of the entry is a band of three 6-over-1 double-hung wood frame sash.  This wing of the house is clad with wood shingles. A non-original shed-roof dormer sits on the second story, and there is a modern rear addition to the house.  An exterior brick chimney is on the west wall.

Detail for 1929 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100825 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle - Combed, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1929 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100825 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0