Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Glaser Residence Common Name: 42 Olson Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1929
This residence, located in Glenlaken Park plat, has an altered entry and newer metal roof cladding and lacks integrity of design and materials; it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.
The earliest known owners of this house were Harry G. & Lula Glaser in 1938; he taught at Ballard High School. They remained here through 1958.
This house is one of several Tudor Revival houses on E. Eaton Place designed by architect Frank Fowler and built by Herman Austin. They typically have brick and/or cedar cladding and leaded casement windows; the interiors have details such as built-in cabinets with leaded windows.   
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Polk directories of Seattle, 1938-1958.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1-1/2 story side-gable house is on a midblock lot with a rockery and dense plantings of shrubs and flowers. Cladding is shingles with newer metal tiles on the roof. The entry is at the east end of the facade; it has a gabled hood with returns and brick-clad porch and stairs descending toward the west. The stairs have been altered from the original configuration and the original columns have been removed. The west side of the roof has a low shed dormer with  three 4-light leaded casements. The facade has a group of three 8-light casements and a small diamond-paned window east of the entry. West of the house is an attached garage with a deck above.  

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Roof Material(s): Metal
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Other: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0