Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2006 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0275 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 40 Simenstad Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1912
 
Significance
This residence is an example of the Craftsman style.  Built in 1912 it is associated with the early developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood.  Its original projecting porch has been filled in, windows on the main floor of the front facade have been changed and a trellis has been added.  Despite these alterations, the house retains sufficient integrity to convey its architectural significance and is a contributing resource to the Montlake National Register Historic District.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.
 
Appearance
This one-and-one-half story gable-front Craftsman-style residence has a broad, low pitched roof with deep eaves, wide bargeboards and knee braces. It is clad in unpainted shingle siding. The original gable-front projecting porch at the north end of the front facade has been filled in and the entry door faces south toward a wood porch and stairs.  Windows on the main level of the front facade are newer, wood frame casements. Windows in the gable end are original, leaded diamond-pane casements with wide wood frames. A wood trellis projects to the south of the enclosed bay and is supported by a square wood post.  A clinker brick chimney pierces the eaves on the south facade. The site is flat and densely planted with tall mature trees and shrubs. A tall bamboo fence with an arched gate runs parallel to the sidewalk. 

Detail for 2006 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0275 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2006 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0275 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 01, 2014

Photo taken Dec 01, 2014

Photo taken Dec 01, 2014
App v2.0.1.0