Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Todd Residence Common Name: 39 Haworth-Pai Residence
Style: Beaux Arts - Neoclassical Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
 
Significance
This house is a one-story example of the Neoclassical style, which is uncommon in Seattle. Built in 1922, it is associated with the 1920s developmental era in Montlake. It remains intact and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners were Hugh C. (an attorney) & Mary Todd, in 1928. It was owned by Oliver K. & Faye Devin in 1938; he was a salesman for Crescent Manufacturing Co. In the late 1940s, Walter S. and Grace Hoskins, of Hoskins Machine Co., owned the home. Arthur O. Ihlang a salesman for Grayson-Brown Hardware & Furniture, was the owner with his wife, Mae, in the late 1950s.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

 
Appearance
This 1-story residence has a rectangular plan and flat roof with a parapet featuring decorative balustrades near the corners.  Shallow hipped roof projections with exposed rafter ends are located below the decorative balustrades. It is clad in clapboard siding and has a symmetrical facade. The front (north facing) facade is dominated by a prominent rounded classical porch portico with decorative finials on top and exposed rafter ends. It and supported by 4 Doric columns. The concrete porch steps flair outwards and have painted brick sidewalls. The wide wood door is flanked by 2 - 5/1 double-hung wood sash windows with wide wood frames. Windows on the east facade are the same style but in groups of 2 and 4. The east facade features a recessed porch in the center with flanking Doric columns and a turned balustrade. The house sits on a sloping corner lot with a rockery, lawn, shrubs and wide concrete steps and a walkway leading to the entry porch on the north side.  A wood fence with a trellised top encloses the backyard to the south. 

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464


Photo taken Dec 01, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0