Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2209 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0065 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Bean Residence Common Name: 39 Curtis Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
 
Significance
This 1922 house is associated with the 1920s development era in Montlake. Although it has been altered with a rear addition, the addition is in keeping with the historic character of the house and it is therefore still a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners were Tom W. & Addie Bean, in the 1930s and 40s. Tom Bean was a printer. It was owned by Ernest L. Conner a Bridge Tender for City Engineering, and his wife, Olive, in the late 1950s.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This Craftsman bungalow has clapboard siding with shingles in the gable ends, a rectangular plan, and a gable-front roof form. It was originally constructed as a 1 ½ story house. A new, 2-story addition has been added to the rear and now the front facade features a series 3 of descending gables, including the 2-story addition, the original house, and the porch roof, all with clipped ends, wide bargeboards, exposed rafter ends, and knee braces.  The wide raised porch has brick steps with stepped brick sidewalls square wood balustrades. The porch roof is supported by wood columns atop tall battered brick piers. The paneled wood door has a decorative leaded window in the upper third. To the south of the entry is a 3-part fixed center picture window with a tulip-motif leaded transom and casement sidelights.  A 7/1 double-hung wood window is located in the gable end. The north and south facades have both original and newer wood frame windows.  A shed-roofed raised side porch is located on the north facade and a detached garage and shed are located to the rear of the house adjacent to the alley. 

Detail for 2209 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0065 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2209 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0065 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0