Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2201 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0060 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Cruikshank Residence Common Name: 39 Schmidt Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This house has been altered with a remodeled porch with a large landing and slender posts replacing the original battered posts and brick piers. A 2nd story addition has been built on the he rear and the house has been re-clad with aluminum siding. These changes have significantly altered its original historic character and it therefore not a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner, in 1928, was Burt G. Cruikshank, a salesman for White Co., along with his wife, Helen. It was owned by Richard & Bertha Gosslee in 1938; he was an elevator operator for Textile Bldg Co. In the 1940s and 50s, Roy & Betty Jacobs of R. N. Jacobs were the owners.  

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This Craftsman-style house has a side-gabled roof form, a gabled projecting porch roof and a gabled roof dormer, and aluminum siding with new vertical siding in the gable ends.  The roofs have wide bargeboards and knee braces.  The raised porch has wood stairs that descend to the south and an intermediate wood landing, with square wood railings and a balustrade. The paneled wood door has a 6-part divided window. To the south of the entry is a 3-part picture window and in the gabled dormer is a paired casement.  Windows on the north and south facades are a mix of original and new.  A brick chimney and gabled bay are located on the south facade.  The roof on the north side to the rear has been raised to accommodate an incompatible 2nd story addition. 

Detail for 2201 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0060 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Metal - Aluminum Siding Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Other: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2201 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0060 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0