Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2149 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 102800-0085 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Gray Residence Common Name: 34 Harview-Watt Residence
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1915
This residence, located in the Boyer Ave. Add., has had numerous alterations and has lacks integrity of design and materials; it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.  Robert H. Gray, who worked at Harry's Place, owned this house in 1928, whose occupation was listed as Harry's Place. By 1938, Mark Reeploeg, who worked at Foster & Kleiser Co., and his wife, Faye, owned it, and they remained here through the 1950s.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk directories of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This house, one of the older ones in the vicinity, sits above the street on a sloping lot heavily landscaped with groundcovers and large shrubs. The façade has been significantly altered, including the replacement of the garage with a carport, the removal of a prominent front chimney and an added gabled bay and bay window. The shingle-clad house has a side gable roof with narrow eaves. At  the center is a gabled bay with no eaves and a three-sided bay window with a hipped roof. Windows are primarily casements with false muntins and louvered shutters. A paved driveway and stairs lead to a carport beneath the east end of the house; the recessed entry is near the carport. A deck with a cutout railing is on the west end of the second story.  

Detail for 2149 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 102800-0085 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2149 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 102800-0085 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0