Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2119 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 102800-0025 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Van Frank Residence Common Name: 34 Vennemann Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1921
 
Significance
This residence, located in the Boyer Ave plat, is a good and generally intact example of the Craftsman style. Built in 1921, it is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner of this house was Carrie C. Van Frank in 1928. Hugh E. & Myrtle Whirry owned it in 1938; he was an auditor for the American Baptist Publication Society. Lewis E. & Myrtle Parker in 1948, a guard with the Pinkerton National Detective Agency Inc. A student, Harry T. (Patricia) Keyes owned it in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk directories of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This 1-1/2 story Craftsman house sits on a midblock lot with a lawn, shrubs, small trees, a picket fence and a concrete parking pad. It is similar to 2123 Boyer Avenue E., with a front-gable roof and a half-width projecting porch on the west end of the façade.  Both gables have pointed bargeboards and deep eaves with extended beams. The porch has a wood railing and stairs, with two square wood posts. The wood door has glazing in a Craftsman pattern. A large tripartite window to the east has wood sash and wide surrounds with a six-over-one center section flanked by one-over-one windows. The front gable end has a three-over-one window.  Cladding is narrow clapboard with coursed shingles in the gable ends. Two large gabled dormers (2002) extend across the rear of the house. An exterior brick chimney is on the east elevation. 

Detail for 2119 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 102800-0025 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2119 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 102800-0025 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0