Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Wheeler Residence Common Name: 34 McTaggart Residence
Style: Spanish - Mediterranean Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1929
This residence is a good and generally intact example of the Mediterranean Revival style. Built in 1929, it is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. This property was purchased by Alta Wheeler in 1929. She owned   Dahlialand Gardens, a nursery that occupied a large tract of land nearby at Boyer Avenue East and 19th Avenue East. It operated from 1924 to 1962.  Her husband, James Wheeler, was a partner in West and Wheeler, a major real estate firm that developed much of Wallingford and Fremont. He lived here until his death in 1974 at the age of 100. (Seattle's Pioneering Wheeler-Dealer is 100, Seattle Times, 1/18/1974, B3).
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibiliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Polk directories of Seattle, 1938-1958.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This large house adjoins Interlaken Park, sitting well below the street, and is difficult to see. It originally sat on more than 5 acres, much of which was platted in 1980. The house has an irregular plan with tan brick cladding and a cross-gable clay tile roof. The main facade faces south toward the hillside; the entry, sheltered by a tile roof, is near the junction of the ell. The east wing has a wrought iron balcony with leaded French doors; other windows appear to be 1/1 wood sash. The south facade has a large brick chimney. On the north is  an octagonal solarium on the second floor, with a bracketed hipped roof and 12-light leaded windows. Below this is a detached multi-car garage (1938), a parking area and extensive landscaping, enclosed by a tall wrought iron fence.   

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0