Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2505 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-1001 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Harter Residence Common Name: 25 Matthews Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
 
Significance
This residence has been altered with a remodeled porch and asbestos cladding, losing integrity of design and materials, so it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner, in 1928, was Emma J. Harter, who remained here at least through 1938. In 1948, it was owned by  Charles L. Altier, a supervisor at Continental Can Co. and his wife, Alma.  David L. McCulloch, a manager at Sears.and his wife, Vivian, were the owners in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk directories of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This one-story Craftsman house sits on a midblock lot with a lawn and  foundation shrubs. It has an L-shaped plan with a side-gable roof and a projecting gabled porch covering the east half of the facade. The porch was extended to the front in 1956, and has been rebuilt with a second gable nested into the original one. The gables have pointed bargeboards and deep eaves with brackets. The porch cantilevers over the driveway, and has  two square wood posts, a metal railing and concrete stairs. Cladding is asbestos shingles. Windows have wide surrounds and upper sash in the Craftsman style; two windows flank the front door with a groups of two windows to the west. An  exterior brick chimney is near the northeast corner.

Detail for 2505 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-1001 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle - Concrete/Asbestos Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Other: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2505 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-1001 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0