Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2501 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-1000 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Brook Residence Common Name: 25 Anderson Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1918
This residence has been altered with replacement cladding and windows and porch alterations, losing integrity of design and materials. It is not a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The first identified owners (1928) were a dentist, Frank N. Brook, and his wife, Mae. In 1938, it was owned by Florence Wayman, a clerk for the Board of Education. The owners in 1948 were Gilbert G. & Mary Kiesecker of the Queen City Grocery Co.  Rudolph and Heggie were the owners in 1958; he was a commentator on KAYO Radio.    

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk directories of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1-1/2 story Craftsman house sits on a corner lot with a lawn, large trees and a low holly hedge. It has a side gable roof with a large gabled porch that has been enclosed, with a recessed entry at the northwest corner. The entry has been altered with a large low deck with a wood railing. Cladding is clapboard on the lower part of the house, wide vertical boards in the gable end and plywood or Masonite panels on the center part. The main facade has a group of four narrow windows with metal sash; windows surrounding the entry also have modern  sash. The west elevation has an exterior brick chimney and a square bay with a shed roof and four narrow windows.   Cladding is wood panels with vertical boards above. Second-floor windows have metal sash.  There is a garage at the rear.    


Detail for 2501 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-1000 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood, Wood, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Other: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2501 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-1000 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0