Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1810 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101380 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 49 Pozarycki Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1912
This residence has been altered with a new entry, new cladding and window sash that significantly altered the building's original character and it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  The earliest known owners of this house were Arthur N. & Berniece Mickelson, in 1938. He was a carrier for the U.S. Post Office. They owned the home through at least 1948. It was owned by C. Warren Woodward, an accountant for Boeing, and his wife, Wilma, in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004. 

This 1-1/2 story Craftsman-style house was originally addressed as 1819 24th Ave E and oriented to the east. On the new west orientation, the front yard has a wood fence, large trees and an informal stone patio. The house has a front-gable roof with deep eaves, brackets and bargeboards. Cladding is brick on the first story, stucco in the gables and shingle on the new large entry bay on the south end of the main, west façade. The entry has a recessed concrete porch, paneled square corner columns, a new Craftsman-style wood door with paneled sidelights, and a rooftop deck with a wood and wire balustrade. A group of three wood sash 3/1 windows and two diamond shaped windows are in the front gable. A new shed dormer is on the north elevation.

Detail for 1810 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101380 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Shingle, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Extensive
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Other: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 1810 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101380 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 01, 2014
App v2.0.1.0