Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1826 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101345 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 49 Stanley Residence
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1921
This residence has been altered with extensive changes to the windows/window openings and removal of the original entry on the east facade that has significantly altered the building's original character, and it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  The earliest known owner of this house, in 1928, was Jeanette Darragh, an agent for NY Life Insurance Co. Imperial Candy Company salesman Alton H. Bennett, and his wife, Frances, owned the house in 1938. Thomas A. & Margaret Lunn were the owners in 1958; he worked as a design draftsman for Philip F. Spaulding, Naval Architect.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This clapboard-clad 1-1/2 story house was originally addressed as 1835 24rd Ave E and oriented with the main entry to the east. The original entry has been removed and several windows on the east elevation have been infilled. From the west, the lot has a two-car parking pad on the front, south side, an arbored garden entry on the north side, a picket fence, groundcovers, hedge, and a large deciduous tree. It has a side-gable roof with returns and a large gabled dormer centered on the main west façade. A large hipped-roof central enclosed entry vestibule has a contemporary 10-light door flanked by windows with divided lights in the upper sash. Other windows have similar sash singly or paired.

Detail for 1826 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101345 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1826 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101345 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 01, 2014

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0