Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2303 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 678820-1651 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: Weiner + Maizels Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1912
 
Significance
This one-and-half story Craftsman bungalow has had minor alterations, including the enclosure of the side porch, but is a largely intact and good example of Crafstman style. Built in 1912 is it associated with the early development of the Montlake neighborhood and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. (1 of 3 Craftsman built on this side of block in 1912)

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

 
Appearance
This one-and-half story Craftsman bungalow has a low side gable roof and a projecting central front-gable porch with piers and paired square post supports on its symmetrical façade; cladding is coursed shingles.  The eaves have exposed rafters, knee braces and bargeboards. Windows flanking the entry are groups of three divided light casements in wood sash and wide frame. The south elevation features a prominent rustic stone chimney on a projecting gable bay wall flanked by small divided light windows and an enclosed sun porch with a balcony above. Wood -frame and glass doors in the gable open onto the balcony. The house sits above the street on a large corner lot with recently constructed rustic stone terrace walls, new landscape plants and a very large mature conifer tree. A detached double garage (1981) with roof terrace is at the southwest corner of the lot; it is below the grade of the rear yard but accessible from E. Lynn St. at grade with the street.

Detail for 2303 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 678820-1651 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Slight
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Tax Assessment Rolls, Washington State Archives.
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2303 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 678820-1651 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2013
App v2.0.1.0