This commercial building was constructed in 1945 during a period of important industrial, commercial and warehouse construction in the South Lake Union area. Past building tenants included Kuney Johnson Company General Contractors (Polk 1948-49), Circle Air Electric Heating Company(Seattle Times 1954) MC Distributing Corporation (Polk 1955), Dependable Building Maintenance Company, Inc. (Polk 1960, 1965, 1970), and Dietzgen Corporation. The building currently houses Cascade Architecture and Engineering Supplies.
This corner building originally featured a Streamline Moderne style, with a rounded corner at the intersection of 9th Avenue and Thomas Street, horizontal windows with aluminum frames and mullions, a curved recessed entry in the center of the facade, and a tall stucco clad parapet and bulkheads. A larger, two-story mass to the rear featured unadorned concrete masonry unit-clad walls and a loading bay.It has been significantly altered. All character defining features have been removed or covered over. This building no longer exhibits any noteworthy architectural details nor is it significant for historical associations.
1948-49 City Directory of Seattle. R. L. Polk& Co., Seattle
1955 City Directory of Seattle. R. L. Polk &Co., Seattle
1960 City Directory of Seattle. R. L. Polk &Co., Seattle
1965 City Directory of Seattle. R. L. Polk &Co., Seattle
1970 City Directory of Seattle. R. L. Polk &Co., Seattle
Seattle Times Historical Archive, September 14,1954
Seattle Times Historical Archive, July 8, 1984
King County Property Record Card (1937-1972),Puget Sound Regional Archives