Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 722 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 750250-0045 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Knights of Columbus Hall Common Name: Knights of Columbus Hall
Style: Beaux Arts - Neoclassical Neighborhood: Pike/Pine
Built By: Year Built: 1912
 
Significance
The Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Church's largest lay organization, is a fraternal order founded in 1882 to support church programs and serve charitable causes. The Seattle council was chartered in 1902 and constructed this building in 1913 as the local headquarters. It has played major role both among Catholic and in the larger community, as the site of notable lunches, dances and other events. The gym and swimming pool in the basement were used by servicemen during World War II. The building looks much as it originally did, except for the replacement of some windows on the main façade. The main entry originally had an elegant metal and glass canopy that has been replaced by a fabric awning.
 
Appearance
This is a substantial three-story building, clad with clinker brick. There is a deep dentillated cornice of cast stone at the top of the building, with another cornice below the third-floor windows. The main (south) façade has two entry bays. The large one, toward the east, is flanked by brick pilasters terminating in a split pediment at the third floor level. The words "Knights of Columbus" are incised in the cast stone below the pediment. A flight of concrete stairs ascends to the entry, which has newer steel-and-glass doors. The other entry is at the southwest corner, with a much simpler arched opening. The stepped parapet marks each of these entries; the east elevation has a gabled parapet. There is a secondary entry with an arched hood at the northeast corner of the building. Most windows are one-over-one wood sash. The first floor has five tall arched winnows with cast stone keystones; the lower portions are newer fixed pane sash and the arched portions are filled in. First-floor windows have cast stone sills supported by small scroll corbels; other window have simpler cast stone sills. The concrete foundation rises close to the first floor sills. The daylight basement has windows on all elevations.

Detail for 722 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 750250-0045 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick - Clinker, Concrete Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s):
Building Type: Social - Clubhouse Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: three
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Religion, Social Movements & Organizations
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 722 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 750250-0045 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Aug 01, 2011

Photo taken Aug 01, 2011
App v2.0.1.0