||Polyanna Cafe, Dinty Moore's
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
Legal description: "North 80 feet of south 160 feet of
portion Government lot 7 Ly between 8th Ave S & C & P S R/ W& north
of north of Drewry Street." Tax Lot 30.
Original drawings for this building do not seem to be available.
The building was designed as a store building, although the second floor now
appears to be residential. Based on the King County Tax Assessor’s Record Card,
the building dates from 1927. In many respects, the building seems typical of
brick veneer clad buildings of its era, although it follows more closely the
form of many apartment buildings of this period. Based on a photo from around
1936, the ground floor housed a café called the Polyanna Café. By 1950, the restaurant/café
was called “Dinty Moore’s Tavern and Café,” which remained at least until 1974.
Although the storefronts and main entry have clearly been replaced, the main
facade has retained its original cladding, the fenestration of its upper level
and other significant architectural detail.
By 1980, Net Tooling Die Makers occupied the building and remained
until at least the end of the 1980s.
This two-story building, which also has a basement level, is
located north of South Edmunds Street, (formerly known as Drewry St), and on
the east side of Airport Way South, an often congested thoroughfare. The
building has a rectangular footprint, approximately 30 feet by 40 feet. The
building has a wood frame structure, with exterior walls covered with brick veneer.
It also has a flat roof and parapet. The main façade, which measures
approximately 30 feet, faces Airport Way South. Its parapet is raised at its
center in a low angled shape. Below this, just below the apex of the raised
parapet and on the centerline of the façade, there is a larger diamond shape,
created with angled bricks. Directly below the diamond shape, there is large
opening, which contains one large window, flanked to each side by a narrower,
multi-pane window. To each side of the central window opening, there are single
windows, which are also multi-pane. A brick soldier course marks the top of all
the openings, while a brick sill marks the bottom of each of the openings.
There is also a smaller brick diamond shape above each of the flanking windows.
This portion of the façade is relatively intact.
The first level presents a central doorway, with a replacement
door in aluminum frame, as well as a related sidelight to the north side of the
door. To each side of the central doorway, there is a storefront, set over a
brick sill. A continuous soldier course, which runs across the entire façade,
ties all three ground level openings together. Each storefront, divided into
three relatively large, oblong pieces of glass, replaced original storefront,
which included a transom consisting of a horizontal row of multi-pane glass.
The south elevation, which once presented a series of window
openings, now adjoins a simple frame building, with few openings. The north
elevation, which has a few visible openings, which seem to be original, is also
mostly not visible. The elevation is mostly hidden behind a mound of metal