||406 Lucile St
||406 S. Lucile St
||Arts & Crafts - Craftsman
This house post-dates the initial residential and commercial
building boom, which occurred in Georgetown between 1890 and 1916. It was built
in 1929 and initially belonged to John Gilman, who, in 1928, also became the
owner of the house down the street, located on the northwest corner of 5th
Avenue South and South Lucile Street. Aside from small changes to the porch
supports and to the stair railing, the house has kept its integrity. It retains
original windows and other character defining elements, such as exposed rafter
tails and the small false beams, under the porch gable - elements typically
associated with the Craftsman style. In plan and general shape, the house is
similar to its neighbor to the east, 412 S Lucile Street, constructed a year
later in 1930.
This single family residence is located on the north side
of South Lucile Street, mid-block between 4th and 5th
Avenues South. It is located to the west of a house with a similar design, 412
S Lucile Street, which was built about a year later. The house is one story
with an attic level. The main façade is set along Lucile Street. The house has
a rectangular plan, topped by a gable roof. A low cross gable, which faces
Lucile St, is set perpendicular to the larger gabled roof and forms the top
part of the entry porch. The main entrance to the house is accessed by several
steps, which are set perpendicular to the façade and lead to the entry porch
landing. Above the landing, important elements of the overhanging gable include
exposed rafter tails, as well as small decorative beams, set below the gable.
Currently the porch supports are relatively thin vertical wood posts. Based on
a photo from the late 1930s, the porch was originally supported by thicker and
slightly flared columns, more typical of Craftsman houses. The posts were also
integrated within the stair railing with slightly thicker rail balusters than
the current balusters of the stair landing.
To each side of the entrance, the windows are double hung. There
is one single window to the west of the porch and a pair of similar windows to
the east. In each case, the top section of the windows is divided into three
long panes, separated by thin muntins. This detail is original.
In many respects, the exterior of the house has retained a high
degree of integrity.