||Star Machinery Co./ C. Kirk Hillman Co., Plant No.2
||Nemco Electric Co.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
Although definitely altered over time, this building has retained
its basic structure and envelope, as well as what appear to be original or
relatively early wood frame windows, particularly on the north elevation facing
Horton St and the east elevation. Original drawings do not seem to be
available. King County Tax Assessor Record card information gives the date of
construction as 1917. By 1936, the building served as a machinery shop for the
Star Machinery Company, once a fairly large complex of buildings and
structures. This building figured as one of the largest, if not the largest,
within the complex. Based on a photo from the same period, the west and south
elevations did not feature multi-pane glazing at that time. Also during the
1930s, the company also apparently commissioned the design of the now very
altered metal shed, which sits just south of this building. That shed appears to
have been completed as late as 1939.
The C. Kirk Hillman Company Inc. acquired this
building during the mid-1960s and remained until at least 1980. It
functioned as Plant No. 2 of the C. Kirk Hillman Company. C. Kirk Hillman was a
known manufacturer of electrical machinery for both mining and logging resource
extraction in the Seattle area. C. Kirk Hillman also commissioned and owned the
wood frame industrial building, located at 3201 1st Avenue
South at Hanford Street in 1923. He also owned that property at least to
1980. In 1984, Nemco Electric altered the wood frame shed at 207 S Horton
St for its use. Although sold about 4 years later to Giebel and McCandles, the
building is again associated with Nemco.
Seven, “How Goes SODO?,” Seattle Times, Pacific Northwest Magazine,
October 19, 2003, database at :<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw/2003/1019/cover.html>,
accessed March 2010.
Erin O’Connor, Lee O’Connor, Cheryl Thomas, (Friends
of Roanoke Park), “National Register of Historic Places Registration Form:
Roanoke Park Historic District,” March, 2009, p16-17.
“Tech Review,” Vol. 16,
Cambridge, MA: MIT Alumni Association, 1914, p 352.
This heavy timber post
and beam structure industrial shed building is located at 207 S Horton Street
on the southeast corner of 2nd Avenue South and S Horton Street.
Along 2nd Avenue South, the west elevation faces the railroad
tracks. The building footprint is approximately 70 feet by 161 feet, with the
longer dimension reflected in the longer elevation set along S Horton Street.
The building is also partially visible from 3rd Avenue South and
actually makes more of an impression from 3rd Avenue. Currently, it
is painted a dark red, which is partially what makes it stand out, even from 3rd
The original interior
heavy timber post and beam structure also included repeated kingpin trusses, as
well as a “balcony area,” although the building was described in early records
as one story in height. Later documents show and describe an existing
From the exterior, the
building has a monitor roof, with clerestory windows. The central portion of
the building rises above two flanking wings. The monitor roof level, and in
particular the north elevation along Horton Street, is characterized by
well-spaced and large window openings, each filled with two wood multi-pane
sash. Siding is mostly wood vertical flush siding, although horizontal bevel siding
also appears, particularly at the first level of windows. Wood frame windows
with multi-pane sash also characterize the shorter gable end facing east.
Similar windows, with less spacing between them than at the clerestory level,
are also featured at the level below the clerestory on the Horton Street
elevation. Below this long row of windows, taller openings, with both
multi-pane sash and what looks like replacement window, (in very poor
condition), characterize the lower level of the Horton Street elevation.
The longer south
elevation, which faces a run-down metal shed from the 1930s, has had much more
extensive changes made to its fenestration. Most of the window openings seem to
be filled with single panes of glass, particularly at the second level. The
first level includes sliding metal fire doors, added during the 1980s, as well
as new glazing at the back (east) portion of the elevation. Window openings on
the west elevation also feature single pane glazing.