Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2411 E HELEN ST E / Parcel ID 5015000225 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Queen Anne - Free Classic Neighborhood: Central Area
Built By: Year Built: 1905
This is a good example of a transitional design combining elements of Queen Anne - Free Classic architecture with features more often associated with Craftsman bungalow Work. The structure’s design integrity has been compromised slightly by an early addition at its south (back) end and by wholesale alterations to the cladding.

This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods.

A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property; however, the house appears to have been owned by Frank J. D. Reise from about 1919 until at least 1937. The house was purchased by Ann Fetter from Jana M. Ransom in 1994,, by Stephen L. Yeager and Jane L. Meseck in 1996, and by Andrew S. Friedman in 1998.
The current owners acquired the house in 2003.


King County GIS Center Property Report (; accessed August 18, 2008)

King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives

This is a one story, aluminum siding clad, wood frame single-family residence on a concrete foundation, over a  nearly full (89%) basement.

The rectangular plan is capped by a hip roof with moderate overhangs, enclosed soffits, and a front facing hip roofed attic dormer.

Most of the windows are double-hung, and in several cases the upper sashes are characterized by the decorative muntin patterns associated with the Craftsman style. A few of the windows are casements, some featuring a regular pattern of small panes that is more typical of Queen Anne design. The bungalow plan type with inset porch and solid porch rail, and the moderate roof slope are usually associated with the work of Craftsman style designers, but the enclosed soffits, partially glazed entry door, and the Tuscan porch column are more reminiscent of Queen Anne - Free Classic work.

This house was built in 1905 according to the
King County GIS Center Property Report, accessed August 18, 2008 (1910 according to the King County Property Record Card). The King County Property Record Card indicates that the house was remodeled at some point prior to 1937; however, the extent of the remodel and the date are not recorded.

The extension at the rear appears to be an early addition. There are new windows at the basement level. The original siding has been replaced or covered by aluminum siding that does a good job of imitating clapboard.

This house is situated in the portion of the Central Area that extends north of Madison between 23rd Avenue East and Washington Park Arboretum (as the boundaries of the neighborhood are delineated by Folke Nyberg and Victor Steinbrueck in "Central Area: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources," Seattle: Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority, 1975). However, this part of the Central Area is also sometimes called East Capitol Hill, Miller Park or Madison-Miller.

Detail for 2411 E HELEN ST E / Parcel ID 5015000225 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Metal - Aluminum Siding, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s):
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2411 E HELEN ST E / Parcel ID 5015000225 / Inv # 0

Photo taken May 22, 2008
App v2.0.1.0