Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3206 S WASHINGTON ST S / Parcel ID 3416600110 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Queen Anne, Queen Anne - Stick Neighborhood: Leschi
Built By: Year Built: 1892
This is an example of hybrid design combining Queen Anne and Stick style components with Craftsman style additions. The structure’s design integrity has been compromised by mid-life additions, by alterations to the cladding and associated detailing, and by replacement of some windows.

This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods.

A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property; however, Mary McGee Gillen appears t have owned the house when it was surveyed bythe Assessor in 1937. Thyje Hanson and spouse apparently acquired the property in 1941. Douglas Murray purchased the house in 1957. It appears that one of the current owners received a partial interest in the house from Marian K. White in 1987 and from Aaron J. Murray in 2003; the other owner received a partial interest from Robert L. Murray in 2003.


King County GIS Center Property Report (; accessed August 18, 2008)

King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives

This is a one-and-a-half story, clapboard clad, wood frame single-family residence on a concrete foundation, over a partial (60%) basement.

The building consists of several components. The
one-and-a-half story volume of what appears to be the original structure is L-shaped and is clearly expressed in its relatively steep "gable-front-and-wing" type roof. The rafters are not exposed at the overhangs of this roof, but the soffit enclosures are attached to the undersides of the rafters, resulting in the sloped "open eaves" detailing associated with the Stick style. The fenestration of the original house, composed mostly of tall, slender, double-hung windows placed singly or in pairs, and the decorative trusses at the peaks of the gables, are also associated with that style. A fairly large early addition at the back of the house changed the original "L" of the building's footprint into a "T." Another apparent addition, a "sunroom" built facing the street at the inside corner of the original "L," has a shed roof with a much shallower pitch than the man roof. It also features a wide bargeboard and Craftsman style ganged windows. The entry porch, which was probably added about the same time as the sunroom, extends across the entire width of the gable-topped portion of the south elevation and has a roof very similar to that of the sunroom, but supported by built-up wood piers bearing on a solid, clapboard-clad porch rail. Portions of its wide bargeboards appear to bear on decorative triangular timber knee braces projecting from the piers. In early pictures of the house, the porch and "sunroom" are characterized by exposed rafter tails which, together with the other detail elements mentioned above, suggest that the streetside additions were designed in the Craftsman style and were intended to "update" the look of the older Queen Anne - Stick style structure.

This house was built in 1892, according to the King County Property Record Card, though that same source indicates that the structure was remodeled, perhaps more than once, in the period from 1926 to 1934. The building functioned as a duplex when surveyed by the Assessor in 1937, though it may have been erected as a single family residence. The structure has apparently been in single family use since 1957 (this date is suggested by a sales sheet prepared by Windermere Real Estate Company in 2008).

The present clapboard siding is wider than that which covered most of the structure in 1937. The shingles that once clad the south-facing gable are no longer extant. The window casings, and the wide parting beads which delineated the boundaries between the original mass of the house and some of the additions, have been altered, or removed entirely. The rafter tails that characterized the building when it was photographed in 1937 are no longer visible, and some of the roof soffits and facias appear to have been rebuilt or resurfaced. Some of the original windows appear to have been replaced with vinyl units of similar design.

Detail for 3206 S WASHINGTON ST S / Parcel ID 3416600110 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Shed Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Multiple Family Plan: T-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 3206 S WASHINGTON ST S / Parcel ID 3416600110 / Inv # 0

Photo taken May 17, 2008
App v2.0.1.0