Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 600 35TH AVE / Parcel ID 3200900060 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare- Colonial, Queen Anne - Free Classic Neighborhood: Leschi
Built By: Year Built: 1900
This is a quite unusual and substantially altered example of Queen Anne Free Classic architecture. Extensive modifications completed by the mid 1950s have significantly compromised the integrity of the design, leaving much of the Queen Anne footprint and massing, but altering the cladding and detailing of the structure in such a manner that the design has become more evocative of Colonial Revival work.

This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods.

A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property; however, the house appears to have been owned by John W. Heal, Jr. and his wife from 1936 until at least 1937. The property was acquired by Reva C. Heal in March 1957, by O. C. High two months later, and by Brian Goodell and his wife in 1972.


King County GIS Center Property Report (; accessed July 12, 2008)

King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives

This is a two-and-a-half story, clapboard and shingle clad, wood frame single-family residence on a concrete block and post and beam foundation, over a three-quarter basement.

The irregular plan is capped by a hip roof with somewhat extensive overhangs and open soffits. A hip roofed dormer with no overhangs is centered over the west facing street facade. A partial, moderately sloped, octagonal hip roof -- integrated with the main roof -- marks the position of a tower-like bay at the southeast corner of the structure. Shed roofs without overhangs protect a single story extension of the plan at the west elevation, and a similar but smaller shed roof caps the mostly enclosed front porch. A single-story room with roof deck and eaves extends from the house at the northeast corner.

This house was built in 1900 according to the King County Property Record Card, and in 1901 according to
the King County GIS Center Property Report  (accessed July 12, 2008). The house was quite substantially altered between 1937 and 1957.

Even in its original condition, this house was a complex amalgam of forms and detail elements. The substantial modifications completed prior to 1957 resulted in additional complexities that defy easy stylistic categorization.

In the course of being reduced in depth by at least fifty percent, and in length by about twenty-five percent. the original, Free Classic projecting front porch lost its flat roof, its rooftop balustrade, a low clapboard clad railing, and its Tuscan columns. A large portion of what remains appears to have been added to the interior space. The enclosed area just north of the entry door is now lit by a high, rectangular horizontal window (two panes tall and ten panes wide) that appears to have been added during the post 1937 remodel. The only remaining exterior component of the original porch now configured as a small stoop entered through a Georgian-looking, built-up wood portal.

The reduction of the front porch has exposed a portion of the south wall of
a single-story first floor projecting element at the north end of the original street facade. A window has been added at this exposed wall surface. The flat roof and balustrade that originally surmounted this plan element have been removed and replaced by a shed roof, and a small "back" porch appears to have been added at the north end.

Several of the original window openings have been significantly altered in size or configuration. The character of the newer windows differs substantially from that of the original windows. Four tall, very slender, double-hung windows ganged together at the face of the single-story first floor projecting element have been removed and replaced with a large, single sash, multi-pane window. Another window group, consisting of a wide double-hung unit flanked by two narrower double-hung units, located in the slightly projecting bay at the floor above, has been replaced by a single double-hung unit. At the south end of the west elevation (upper level), an identical unit has replaced a oval window and high rectangular window that once opened onto the flat roof of the original front porch.

Decorative shutters have been added to the relatively new second story windows, and to at least one of the south facing windows.

The front facing dormer has lost its battered walls, and the dormer roof has lost its overhangs.
The dormer's cladding and detailing have been altered.

A single story room -- or porch -- with roof-top deck, opening to the back yard at the northeast corner of the house, has been expanded to the north (compared to the room shown on the plan sketch prepared by the Assessor in 1937).

The south chimney has been altered, and the north chimney appears to have been removed entirely.

Detail for 600 35TH AVE / Parcel ID 3200900060 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Block, Post & Pier
Roof Type(s): Flat with Eaves, Hip, Pyramidal, Shed Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 600 35TH AVE / Parcel ID 3200900060 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Nov 30, 2007

Photo taken Nov 30, 2007
App v2.0.1.0