Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1814 E CHERRY ST E / Parcel ID 2258500035 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare - Prairie, Italian - Italianate, Queen Anne Neighborhood: Central Area
Built By: Year Built: 1905
 
Significance
This is a fairly typical example of American Foursquare design, although the structure’s design integrity has been somewhat compromised by an apparent change of use, the replacement or modification of some windows, and minor adjustments to the cladding details.

This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods.

A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property; however, the house appears to have been owned by Maggie L. Frew when the property was surveyed by the Assessor in 1937. Charles W. Stewart apparently purchased the structure in 1965. One of the current owners acquired the property prior to 1999.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

King County GIS Center Property Report (http://www5.kingcounty.gov/kcgisreports/property_report.aspx; accessed July 12, 2008)

King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives

 
Appearance
This is a two story, clapboard and shingle clad, wood frame single-family residence with medical clinic on the main floor. The structure is built on a concrete foundation scored to resemble stone or block, over a partial (33%) basement.

The rectangular plan is capped by a hip roof with moderate overhangs and enclosed soffits decorated with box modillions.

The relatively simple windows and doors are characterized by patterns and details customarily associated with Queen Anne work; although the hip roof, the attached one story front porch with large square built-up wood piers, and the horizontal banding at the bases of the first and second stories suggest some familiarity with the emerging Prairie style. The box modillions are also sometime associated with Prairie style design, although they are also a typical feature use in Italianate detailing.

The house was built in 1905. More recently, some new window units have been installed in existing openings; storm windows have been added at some openings. There have also been some very minor detail changes to the cladding.

The property is described as a single family residence in the
King County GIS Center Property Report accessed July 12, 2008, but was functioning as a medical clinic when the property was surveyed in 2007. It is assumed that extensive interior modifications were required to support use as a clinic. It is not known when the clinic use was added.

Detail for 1814 E CHERRY ST E / Parcel ID 2258500035 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Community Planning/Development, Health/Medicine
Integrity
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 1814 E CHERRY ST E / Parcel ID 2258500035 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Nov 26, 2007
App v2.0.1.0