Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 825 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 2254501805 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare, American Foursquare- Colonial Neighborhood: Central Area
Built By: Year Built: 1902
This is a fairly straightforward example of American Foursquare architecture. Although the structure’s design integrity was somewhat compromised by alterations to the cladding and the windows in the 1950s, most of the changes have been reversed, and the structure now appears much as it did in 1937 (with the exception to the apparent removal of the basement garage, garage doors, and access to the basement from the street).

This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods. The house appears to have been owned by Mary E. Barth from about 1928 until at least 1937.

A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property.


King County GIS Center Property Report (; accessed July 12, 2008)

King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives

This is a two story, clapboard clad, wood frame single-family residence on a concrete foundation, over a full basement.

The essentially rectangular plan is capped by a hip roof with moderate overhangs, and enclosed soffits. A small, hip roofed dormer is centered over the street facade; a small gabled roof, supported by substantial brackets, protects the front stoop.

The house is a simply detailed version of an American Foursquare design. Although many of the windows appear to be new, the windows and doors in general are characterized by patterns and details customarily associated with colonial revival work, as is the roof covering the front porch.The cladding was replaced or covered with concrete asbestos siding in the 1950s but has since been returned to its original appearance

This house was built in 1902. Although the King County Property Record Card suggests that the structure was remodeled prior to 1937, the year of that work and the extent of the modifications undertaken is unknown. A "lean-to" structure extending across most ofthe west facade adjacent to the back porch, and the basement garage visible in the Assessor's photos of 1937 and 1958, are possible early additions. The basement garage is no longer visible from the street and may have been removed.

Detail for 825 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 2254501805 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Hip, Shed Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 825 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 2254501805 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Nov 25, 2007
App v2.0.1.0