Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1310 E SPRING ST E / Parcel ID 2254501180 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Queen Anne Neighborhood: First Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1900
This is an example of a simple Queen Anne bungalow design prefiguring development of the Craftsman bungalow and exhibiting good integrity despite extensive changes to the windows.

This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods.

A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property; however, Carl Normann and his wife apparently owned the house from about 1927 until at least 1937. It appears the structure was acquired by W. Salo in 1960, and then by Robert A. Mesher in 1969. The current owner apparently bought the property from Timothy and Marie Allen in 1993.


King County GIS Center Property Report (; accessed July 22, 2008)

King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives

This is a one story, drop siding clad, wood frame single-family residence on a concrete foundation. There is no basement and the porch appears to be built on a post and beam foundation.

A relatively steep hipped roof with enclosed soffits, typical of Queen Anne style housing, caps the rectangular plan. The structure’s simple shape, narrow front and comparatively great depth prefigure the bungalow forms associated with the Craftsman style. An inset porch with simple detailing is situated at the southeast corner of the structure. The original windows were tall double hung units; some featuring typical Queen Anne muntin patterns in the upper sash. The entry door also featured Queen Anne era glazing and detailing.

This house was built in 1900 (King County Property Record Card; King County GIS Center Property Report, accessed July 29, 2008). The King County Property Record Card indicates that the original concrete block foundation was replaced with a poured concrete foundation in 1961. Several of the original Queen Anne style windows have been removed and large sheets of uninterrupted glass have been stopped into the original openings. Storm sashes have been added at some of the openings.  The original front door appears to have been replaced with a similar, but more Craftsman-like, unit. The original corbelled chimney has been simplified.

The structure is one of several detached houses situated on small rectangular lots in a portion of the First Hill neighborhood characterized by a rectangular street grid and a mixture of houses, apartment buildings and an occasional commercial structure.

Detail for 1310 E SPRING ST E / Parcel ID 2254501180 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood, Wood - Drop siding Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured, Post & Pier
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 1310 E SPRING ST E / Parcel ID 2254501180 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Nov 21, 2007
App v2.0.1.0