Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 222 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 0955000015 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Queen Anne - Cottage Neighborhood:
Built By: Year Built: 1903

This is an example of transitional design combining characteristics of late Queen Anne and early Colonial Revival work in a massed plan, side gabled cottage exhibiting a high degree of integrity despite some minor modification and the replacement of the rear deck.

This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods.

A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property; however, Arthur Walker and his wife apparently owned the house from late 1934 until at least 1937. It appears the structure was acquired by Wallace Stephenson in 1958, by Charlotte Wheeler in 1960, by Property M. Company in 1966, and by William Griffin in 1970. Catherine Carr acquired an interest in the house from Griffin by 1988. Marella E. Francois has owned the property since 2003.


King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives

King County GIS Center Property Report (; accessed July 29, 2008)


This is a one-and-a-half story, clapboard clad, wood frame duplex on a concrete foundation, over a full finished basement.

The side gabled roof with its moderate overhang and enclosed soffits, the axially placed shed dormer, the simple detailing, and the uniform clapboard siding suggest Colonial Revival design, but the slope of the roof, the asymmetry of the façade, the integral porch, and the numerous tall, one-over-one windows are all elements more often associated with the Queen Anne style. The hint of classical detailing at the porch, and the two-part frieze at the base of the eaves, suggest a transitional design somewhere between Queen Anne work and the early stages of Colonial Revival work. Its small size and simple form are typical of a massed plan, side gabled Queen Anne cottage.

A two level deck appears to have been added at the rear of the structure (although a similar structure existed at that location as early as 1937), and the bridge allowing access to the street side entry has been altered. Although the house appeared derelict when it was was surveyed in 2007, some remodeling work was underway at that time .

The house was built in 1903 (King County Property Record Card; King County GIS Center Property Report, accessed July 29, 2008). The King County Property Record Card also indicates that the foundation was remodeled (probably before 1937) but does not provide a more precise date or indicate the extent of the work. The house was bult as a single family residence but served as a rooming house for a time, according to the Assessor's records. More recently it has functioned as a duplex.

Detail for 222 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 0955000015 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Shed Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 222 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 0955000015 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Oct 27, 2007
App v2.0.1.0