Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4245 Brooklyn AVE / Parcel ID 1142000905 / Inv # UD021

Historic Name: Felch House Common Name: Felch House
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: University
Built By: Year Built: 1905
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
David C. Felch and Frank Felch, a physician, constructed this house in 1905. Mary Felch, David's widow, continued to live in the house until 1927. In 1928, Charles W. Felch, a salesman, was the owner. The house remained in the Felch family for many years, and Baxter and Mabel Felch lived in the house until the 1980s. This house is a rare example of an early 20th century residence in the midst of the University District commercial area that is relatively unaltered on the exterior. It is typical of the wood-frame residential vernacular buildings once common in the Brooklyn area, the oldest neighborhood in the University District. The Brooklyn Addition was platted in 1890 by Seattle developer James A. Moore. The building is being used as an office at present. The Felch house is somewhat similar to the home of Bertha and Henry Landes, located on the present site of the Meany Hotel. Bertha Landes was Seattle's first and only woman mayor, and Henry Landes was a geology professor, who served as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and as acting president of the University of Washington.
This two-and-a-half story wood frame house is typical of the residential vernacular buildings that once characterized this area of the University District. The house has a basically rectangular plan and retains its clapboard siding and most original windows. The roof has a cross- gable dormer on the north and the south sides. There is a bay window on the first floor to the south of the entry porch and another bay window on the second floor of the south elevation. The railings above the entry porch on the second-story window south of the entry area date from at least 1937. The second floor window to the south on the east (main) elevation has a spider pattern in the upper sash. Most windows are double-hung wood windows. According to the Assessor's property card, the building was remodeled in 1910. A detached garage is located south of the house at the west end of the lot.

Detail for 4245 Brooklyn AVE / Parcel ID 1142000905 / Inv # UD021

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Block
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4245 Brooklyn AVE / Parcel ID 1142000905 / Inv # UD021

Photo taken Mar 22, 2002

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0