Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 3420 CASCADIA AVE / Parcel ID 5700003900 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Tudor - Composite Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1916
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1916, this building and the $1100 garage were designed by Seattle architect, Charles Haynes. In December of 1929, Joseph E. and Ruby E. Most purchased the building. Mr. Most was secretary treasurer with the Copper River Packing Company by 1938. Mr. Most had previously worked with the Abercrombie Packing Company in 1919. The Most’s remained in the building through 1958. J. M. Nolte bought the residence in April of 1971 for $43,000. Robert I. Stier purchased the property in March of 1972 for $45,000. Architect Charles Haynes established a Seattle office, Haynes and Cantin, in 1907 and worked in partnership with several other architects over the years. Charles Haynes was the official architect for the Hunter Tract Improvement Company and designed many houses in Mount Baker Park. Among these are the Robert B. Kellogg house (1912) at 2701 Mt. St. Helens Place, the Hunter Improvement Company house (1913) at 2855 Mt. Rainier Drive, the Frank Buty house (1915) at 3704 South Ridgeway Place, and the house (1915) at 2659 Cascadia South. Haynes also designed Butterworth Mortuary in Seattle and many revival style houses, apartment houses and commercial projects in Seattle and Aberdeen. He died in Seattle in 1940. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
 
Appearance
Built in 1916, this Tudor Revival style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Cascadia Avenue South on a sloping site 3’ below street level. This 1521 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a full daylight basement features a square plan, measuring 39’ by 39’, with a 7’ by 6’ recessed front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick- (first story) and stucco and half-timber- (upper story) clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof and gabled dormer. Modest eave and gable overhangs with bargeboards define the roofline. Wood sash leaded diamond pane windows provide day lighting. A short flight of stairs leads to the well-detailed recessed front entrance. A gable roof shelters the entrance. An internal brick chimney with decorative corbelling services the building. A large garage wing extends off the building’s north end.

Detail for 3420 CASCADIA AVE / Parcel ID 5700003900 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood, Brick - Common Bond Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 3420 CASCADIA AVE / Parcel ID 5700003900 / Inv #


Photo taken Oct 30, 2003

Photo taken Oct 30, 2003

Photo taken Oct 30, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0