Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4820 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 1702900686 / Inv #

Historic Name: Rainier Valley State Bank Common Name: Starbucks
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Columbia City
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This vernacular commercial building was built in 1922. Architect Victor W. Voorhees designed the building for owner S.T. Toby. The building was remodeled in 1925, also designed by V.W. Voorhees, for the Rainier Valley State Bank. Minnie E. Albee purchased the property in 1932. In 1937 the Rainier Valley Transfer Co. and the Rainier Valley State Bank occupied the building. Ruth’s Beauty Parlor was located above the bank in the 1930s. Later Cleo’s, a local clothing store, occupied the building.
This building is of masonry construction and is supported by a concrete foundation. The building has a rectangular plan and a flat roof with a low parapet. The building is clad in brick and terra cotta. The storefront configuration has changed over time and currently consists of three storefront bays; the original smaller storefront has been separated into two separate bays. The original storefront configuration consisted of two storefronts, one on the north end of the front elevation, and a larger storefront with a corner entry on the front and south elevations. The large storefront consisted of three expansive six-part windows separated by terra cotta and brick piers, two of which were located on the front elevation, one located on the other side of the corner entrance on the south side elevation. The smaller storefront consisted of an expansive plate glass window bay with multi-pane transom windows above, and, separated by a brick pier, an entryway flanked by large windows, also with transom windows located above. The original plate glass windows and transom windows have been replaced with similar modern windows and the piers have been rebuilt to appear similar to the original brick and terra cotta piers. The fenestration on the second story is intact; the fenestration consists of two sizes of three-over-one single hung windows, configured alone and in pairs. The window surrounds are of brick and terra cotta lintels.

Detail for 4820 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 1702900686 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: NR, LR
Cladding(s): Brick, Terra cotta Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Business Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Changes to Windows: Intact
Storefront: Slight
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.
Centennial History, Columbia City, Rainier Valley, 1853-1991, Pioneers of Columbia City. Seattle, Washington, 1992.

Photo collection for 4820 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 1702900686 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 22, 2004
App v2.0.1.0