Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 5218 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 8823900620 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Shuey, Henry Owen, House Common Name:
Style: Beaux Arts - Neoclassical Neighborhood: University
Built By: Year Built: 1905
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).

The Henry Owen Shuey House is a designated City Landmark.  See Ordinance No. 121274.

(2002) Henry Owen Shuey, a prominent Seattle banker in the early 1900s, was born in Indiana in 1861. He married Lucine Hestletine Sherrill in 1884, and they moved to Seattle in 1888. Mr. Shuey established the banking firm of H.O. Shuey & Company and was an organizer of Citizens National Bank with his nephew R. Franklin Shuey. He owned a considerable amount of property in the Seattle area and built or helped to fund more than 1,000 houses. H.O Shuey and his wife had two children, Charles who died at age six and Clyde Sheriill, born in Seattle in 1897. Mr. Shuey was a Republican and an active member of the Christian church and the YMCA. H.O. Shuey built this house in 1908 and resided here until 1917 when he moved to Queen Anne. Two houses in this neighborhood were owned by Shuey relatives: 5814 16th Avenue NE and 5260 16th Avenue NE. This house is one of the largest and most imposing in the University Park area, which was platted by developer James A. Moore in 1906. It occupies a larger site than most of the other houses in the area, two and a half lots. Mr. Shuey was an avid gardener and developed extensive plantings in the large yard to the north of the house. The house, designed by E.S. Bell, was featured in Frank Calvert's "Homes of the Pacific Coast," 1913. H.O. Shuey and Hessie moved to West Comstock Street on Queen Anne in 1918. The Shuey house was purchased by S.A. Cardz in 1918 for $17,000 in cash. This was one of the largest real estate transactions in the University District in 1918. Subsequent owners of the house have included attorney Robert and Olga D. McClelland (purchased 1924), Russell Bucklin (purchased 1970), Eileen Shaw, and Dave and Sheri Berglund. Steven and Rebecca Schellings have owned the house since 2000.

Based on field work conducted in October 2014, this historic property retains its relationship to the streetscape, historic building form and a sufficient amount of exterior historic building fabric (design features, cladding and/or window sash/openings) to contribute to the distinct character of the University Park neighborhood.

 
Appearance

This property exhibits no substantive changes to the exterior appearance since it was identified in the 2002 HRI project. 

(2002) The H.O. Shuey house is a large Neoclassical style, two and a half-story house, reminiscent of a simplified Southern mansion. It is a wood-frame structure, with a basically rectangular plan, and narrow clapboard cladding. The house includes two chimneys and four fireplaces. The large porch has a gabled roof pediment that connects with the main hipped roof. It is framed by two tall, two-story Ionian columns. The upper porch has been enclosed, and the current owners plan to open the porch as it was prior to 1954. The first floor windows on the west and south elevation feature large, double-hung windows, with beveled leaded glass in the upper pane. The door surrounds also feature leaded glass. The house is noteworthy for stained glass windows in the dining room and on the stairway between the first and second floor. The hallway also includes two Ionic columns in dark-stained fir, that mirror the porch columns. All of the interior woodwork is dark-stained fir, and the box-beamed ceilings are intact. The house featured an elaborate round window on the pediment above the porch. This window has been replaced but is still extant and may be restored and re-installed by the Schellings family. The house was altered in 1954-55 when the upstairs porch on the west (main) elevation was enclosed. The balustrades on the porch and above the bay window were removed. The house was converted to a duplex in 1967, and the basement unit was altered in 1971. Minor changes to the garage occurred in 1992. At some point, a rear addition was made to the first two floors (possibly the enclosure of a large porch). However, this addition does not detract from the overall character of the house, and the west (main), north, and south elevations are unchanged. A large deck has been added to the rear of the house. New windows have been installed on the east and north sides of the house, and most second floor windows are new. The new windows are double-hung wood windows, in keeping with the character of the structure. In 2000, the current owners started work on interior alterations. Additional References: City of Seattle. Seattle Inventory Field Form. 1979. "$17,000 Cash paid for Shuey Home on Sixteenth," University District Herald, November 29, 1918, p. 2.

Detail for 5218 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 8823900620 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Interior: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Bagley, Clarence B. History of Seattle. Chicago: S.J. Clarke, 1916.
Calvert, Frank. Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast. Vol. 1, Seattle. Beaux Arts Village: Beaux Arts Society Publishers, 1913.
Chappelle, Robert. "The Shuey Mansion." Unpublished paper for University of Washington Environmental Science 361, Spring 1994.

Photo collection for 5218 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 8823900620 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Mar 22, 2002

Photo taken Oct 01, 2014

Photo taken Oct 01, 2014
App v2.0.1.0