Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3428 Woodlawn AVE / Parcel ID 4083306915 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Queen Anne Neighborhood: Wallingford
Built By: Year Built: 1901
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Nyberg and Steinbrueck assigned this residence a construction date of c. 1890; however, city construction records suggest that the present structure was actually built a little over ten years later. An early building permit (#1134) indicates that a wooden water tank with a windmill was built on the property in 1899 by owner Emil M. Williams. This structure does not appear to have survived. In 1901, another permit (#6266) was issued to Williams for construction of a 1-1/2 story 22’ x 38’ frame residence on Hanson Street at an estimated cost of $950. Williams continued at this address (described in the 1900 edition of Polk’s Seattle Directory as the southeast corner of Hanson and Henry in Edgewater) until about 1910. Edward F. Murphy enclosed a porch for use as a room in 1921. Murphy is described as both the owner and the builder on the permit application (#206540). Murphy, a motorman, and his wife Cora first appear at 3428 Woodlawn in the 1920 edition of Polk’s Seattle Directory. Lucile and Estella C. Murphy owned the house in 1937 when it was surveyed by the Assessor. The house was still functioning as a single-family residence at that time. Lucile Murphy is described in city directories as a “marker” who worked at the Bon Marche. The frame garage that stood at the site in 1937 has since been torn down. Lucile Murphy lived at the house until at least 1940. The Home Owners Loan Corporation had the structure altered for use as a duplex in 1943 in accordance with a design provided by Thomas, Grainger & Thomas (see permit #359274). The structure was described in the application as a two story, 22’ x 44’ frame duplex. A notation on the King County Property Record Card indicates that some rooms may have been made available for temporary housing, and that a new door was cut into the front (west) elevation to serve the second floor and a new laundry tray and sink added. A number of tenants occupied the house from 1943 to 1965. Robert A. Matheson acquired the property in 1965, although it appears to have remained a rental until the early 1970s. Douglas G. Matheson and C. S. Wills lived there in 1970. Robert A Matheson lived there himself in 1975; from at least 1980 until 1990, Gail D. Matheson was the resident listed in city directories. A. Kent Lovelace bought the property from Gail D. Matheson n 1990. The City of Seattle sent a notice of violation to this owner in 2002 suggesting that a second floor addition and driveway trellis had been built at the site without a permit and noting that the garage had been remodeled. A permit (#741018) was issued to Lovelace for construction of a detached garage in 2004 and Lovelace completed electrical modifications in the period from 1990 to 2004 (permits # 685321 and #707188). Nyberg and Steinbrueck identified this structure as a building significant to the entire City of Seattle warranting further evaluation for designation as an historic landmark. Despite a number of modifications, the structure remains significant as a unique representative of its style and form in the Wallingford neighborhood built at the very beginning of Seattle’s first north end building boom.
The building is described as a 1-1/2 story structure in the King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report accessed in 2004 but appears to, in fact, be a 2-1/2 story structure. It is a shingle-clad residence built over a small partial basement on a hybrid foundation composed partially of concrete and partially of wood post and beam construction. The steep gabled roof, enclosed soffits, ganged, gable roofed dormers, unique chimney cap, and the oval window in the front gable are all elements typically associate with the late Queen Anne style. The flared, shingle-clad sidewall of the front gable, and the inward curve of the walls either side of the west facing, inset, second story window are effects commonly employed by proponent of the Shingle style. The entry appears to have been modified, it was remodeled at least once when it was converted to use as a duplex in the 1940s and may have been altered again in recent years. The building retains its Queen Anne massing and its signature windows. The siding appears to have been replaced in kind, although the new siding has been stained rather than painted. No other significant modifications to the exterior are apparent.

Detail for 3428 Woodlawn AVE / Parcel ID 4083306915 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood Foundation(s): Stone
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Community Planning/Development
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 3428 Woodlawn AVE / Parcel ID 4083306915 / Inv #

Photo taken Oct 27, 2004
App v2.0.1.0