Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 6201 13TH AVE / Parcel ID / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Victor L. Miller and C.H. Johnson Bldg Common Name:
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: Georgetown
Built By: Year Built: 1941
Based on field work conducted in September 2014, this historic property retains its relationship to the streetscape, historic building form and a sufficient amount of exterior historic building fabric (design features, cladding and/or window sash/openings) to contribute to the distinct character of the Georgetown neighborhood. This is an intact historic property that may possess some architectural and/or historic significance. Constructed in 1941 as an addition to the adjacent store building at 1223 S. Bailey St (that was built in 1928 and owned by Victor L. Miller and C.H. Johnson).This one-story, one-part commercial block was also built for V.L. Miller and Mr. Johnson.  Victor L. Miller owned several other Georgetown commercial buildings including 1226 S. Bailey St (1927) and 6031 Airport Way S. (1940). A gas station with service bays constructed c.1924 (and purchased by Johnson in 1925) was demolished in order to clear the site. The new commercial building was designed by Otis E. Hancock, who also designed the Georgetown branch - Seattle First National Bank (1955).  It included four storefront shop spaces with recessed entrance vestibules and large display windows; one oriented to S. Bailey St, three oriented toward 13th Ave .S. - the corner shop also included a vestibule off S. Bailey St. The modern façade design was distinguished by expansive display windows, a low bulkhead, decorative brick veneer and tile cladding.

Victor L. Miller  - According to an obituary published in the Seattle Times (Nov. 30. 1964, pg 47) Victor L. Miller was born in Alpena, Michigan and settled in Seattle c.1904. He was identified as a builder and owner of rental properties in the “Georgetown District’. At the time of his death he was survived by three children: Arthur Miller (Seattle), Mary Ellorin (Stockton, CA) and Iris Groves (Canby, OR).

Biographical Info: Otis E. Hancock (November 11, 1893-March 10, 1972). 

Born in Duluth, Minnesota; moved with family to Seattle in 1907; attended Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh; served in U.S. Navy, 1917-19; employed by Arthur Loveless, Seattle, 1920-22; B. Marcus Priteca, Seattle, 1922-23; Frank Fowler, Seattle, 1923-24; independent architectural practice, Seattle, 1925-27, designed Finnish Clubhouse, Seattle (1923); partnership with Frederick V. Lockman, Seattle, 1927-33, designed Queen Anne Clubhouse, Seattle (1927), Central Lutheran Church addition, Seattle (1932); independent practice after 1933; designed L. Bodfrey apartment building, Seattle (1948), Western Union Telegraph garage, Seattle (1950-51), Georgetown Seattle First National Bank Branch (1955), Haloid Xerox (now Kroessen’s) warehouse, Seattle (1958); retired, 1971; died in Seattle.  [Credit: Shaping Seattle Architecture, 2014]


This property is directly associated with an era between 1916 and 1942 when the character of the community began to be changed by social factors, the acceleration of industrialization and associated economic impacts. Due to the instigation of Prohibition in 1916, all breweries closed and brought an abrupt end to their dominance within local industry. Prohibition not only closed down the large local brewery operations but also Georgetown’s infamous roadhouses and saloons. The completion of the Duwamish Waterway in 1917 created additional cheap factory sites with efficient shipping facilities. The establishment of manufacturing businesses such as the Boeing Aircraft Company signaled the new economic direction for the geographic area.  Due to the increasing introduction of industrialization within the community, in 1923 it was zoned exclusively for such uses; however, home owners and builders continued to construct new homes and local businesses throughout the era.  Inexpensive land and depression era federal programs stimulated residential construction and by 1942 city planners were forced by the community to rezone the residential areas. Major factors in housing development during this era were the opening in 1928 of Seattle's first municipal airport (Boeing Field) and the establishment in 1935 of Boeing Company Plant 2 on the west side of Boeing Field. By the end of World War II, 6,981 B-17 bombers had been produced there. At peak production, the facility operated three shifts, seven days a week and employed thousands of workers.


Sources of Information:

Building Permit Records, City of Seattle DPD Microfilm Library

 “Historic Property Survey Report: Georgetown (Seattle, WA)” City of Seattle 1997

KC Property Record Cards 1937-1972, Puget Sound Regional Archives

Sanborn Insurance Maps: 1904-05 (Vol.1 pl.89-98), 1917 (Vol.3 pl. 353-54 & 357-59), 1929-1949 (Vol.8 pl. 869-72 & 1301-1317).

This historic property appears to have undergone rehabilitation work since the 1997 HRI project. The building form and character defining features are intact and preserved.

(1997) Commercial building with an irregular plan. Clad in buff and brown brick with tile at the bulkhead (tile over the piers?). New canopy at the northwest corner. Blue and black tile at bulkheads have been damaged. Terra cotta cap at the parapet. Storefront - break-up altered. New door locations. Evidence of prior locations. Canopy removed at Bailey Street side.

Detail for 6201 13TH AVE / Parcel ID / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Other Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Business Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 6201 13TH AVE / Parcel ID / Inv # 0

Photo taken Mar 24, 1997

Photo taken Mar 24, 1997

Photo taken Mar 24, 1997

Photo taken Sep 12, 2014
App v2.0.1.0