Content for this form was updated in 2018 as part of the Uptown Historic Resources Survey.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This building is in the Uptown neighborhood and was designed by Andrew McQuaker. The building was designed for the Queen Anne RealtyCompany as a “store and flat building.” The drawings were completed in February of 1925, with revisions through May of 1925. The original drawings are available through the Department of Construction and Inspections. The building originally featured nine apartments on the second floor (five two-room units; one three-room unit; and three four-room units). Polk directories listed the building as the Aloha Apartments from 1931 through 1975. Commercial storefronts as of 1951 included 828 Taylor Avenue N; and 551, 553, 557, and 561 Aloha Street.
In 1939 architects Arthur Loveless and Lester Fey designed alterations to a commercial space at the west end of the building. Drawings were dated January 18, 1939. Lester Paul Frey and Arthur Loveless worked together from 1923 to 1926, and then again in 1927, rising to become a partner by 1935. This design work occurred just before Daniel Lamont joined the firm and it was renamed Loveless, Fey & Lamont.
In 1944, architects Johanson, Bain, Brady and Grainger prepared remodel drawings for the building’s apartments as part of a reconditioning project through the Home Owners Loan Corporation Reconditioning Department within the US National Housing Authority Homes Use Program (project W45 A904). The drawings are dated February 24, 1944 with revisions on April 3, 1944. This work is notable as Naramore, Bain, Brady, and Johanson founded NBBJ in 1943. Thomas Grainger stamped the drawings.
Andrew McQuaker was born ca. 1880 in Ayrshire, Scotland and married to Mary McQuaker, also from Scotland. Andrew was listed as an architect in the 1930 census. McQuaker graduated from the Technical College in Glasgow and, with Mary, immigrated to the U.S. in 1910, settling in Seattle by 1911. The couple had three children: George (born ca. 1911), John (born ca. 1914), and Andrew Jr. (born ca. 1916). The couple lived at 817 30th Avenue. McQuaker designed the National Register of Historic Places-listed Bickel School in Twin Falls, Idaho (1937–1938). He had a brief partnership with Pierce A. Horrocks in the 1920s. McQuaker’s work includes the Ambassador Hotel (1925) at 8th Avenue and Union Street, the Caledonian Hotel (1925) at 7th Avenue near Union Street, the Ballard Elks Building, and the McDowall Building, which housed the Saveway Store No. 2. He was also the architect for the remodeling of the Capital Theatre in 1926. His office was in the Mehlhorn Building. He was also the vice president of the Mutual Business Club and a member of the Masonic Lodge in 1926.
This building retains a moderate level of integrity and is a notable example of a 1920s mixed-use building within the neighborhood.
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed., Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Guide to the Architects (Seattle, University of Washington Press: 2014), 2nd edition.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938–1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890–1996.
Seattle Daily Times, November 12, 1926: 46.
Year: 1930; Census Place: Seattle, King, Washington; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 0161; FHL microfilm: 2342234.