Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1816 N 40th ST N / Parcel ID 4083302075 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Wallingford
Built By: Year Built: 1916
This house was erected in 1915-16 by C. A. Rushton; it was built for owner J. B. Stuart, who is also listed as the architect on the building permit. The 14’ x 14’ porch cover at the rear of the house was built at the same time as the house, but under a separate permit which also included a garage. Although Stuart rebuilt the garage in 1924, it appears to no longer be extant. Although still described as a single family residence in the records of the King County Assessor, the building does presently include an accessory dwelling unit (ADU). The building is intact and appears much as it did when first erected. It is significant as an interesting and idiosyncratic melding of essentially craftsman detailing with some formal elements that seem to look back toward Queen Anne styling or forward to the colonial revival. The house is labeled as a building significant to the neighborhood in “Wallingford: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources.”
This interesting structure is a 1-1/2 story shingle clad frame residence on a concrete foundation over a full basement. The side gabled roof is somewhat steeper than is typical of craftsman bungalows, however, the large barge boards are carried by decorative bracing or beam extensions and the rafter tails are exposed, both typical craftsman features. The hip roofed, one story sunroom projecting from the east elevation of the structure is more suggestive of a colonial or tudor revival home, in terms of both typology and architectural expression. The symmetrically fenestrated, shed roofed dormers on the front and back of the house share the wide barge boards and exposed framing of the craftsman style gable roofs. The covers over the front entry and rear porch are gable shaped, but neither has a soffit or a true gable end. However, the framing is exposed from below, the rafter tails are visible from the side, and in the case of the front porch, the framing is borne on beams supported by triangular bracing, giving both porch covers the character of a craftsman style structure. The windows at the main house are typically double hung units composed of a small divided sash over a larger undivided sash. The window casings are atypically narrow and have the character of brick mould as found at windows in masonry structure. The windows in the sunroom appear to be casements and are regularly divided by fairly heavy muntin bars, giving them a more Georgian character. The basement windows are divided into tall narrow lites. A garage added to the site in 1915 and rebuilt in 1924 appears to no longer be extant. The basement was remodeled in 1989, according to the permit record, leading to the addition of a window. An accessory dwelling unit (ADU) was established in 1997.

Detail for 1816 N 40th ST N / Parcel ID 4083302075 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Hip, Shed Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Community Planning/Development
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Plan: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.

Photo collection for 1816 N 40th ST N / Parcel ID 4083302075 / Inv #

Photo taken Sep 29, 2004

Photo taken Sep 29, 2004
App v2.0.1.0