Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4338 12th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400730 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Modern - Contemporary Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1950
Built in 1950, this building was owned and occupied by 1953 through 1968 by Leonard P. Tunstad. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1950, this compact, Ranch style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Twelfth Avenue South on a flat site above street level. This 1004 square foot, single-story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 33’ by 30’, with a 16’ by 6’ front deck. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, hollow 8” clay tile-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the hip roof. Broad, closed overhanging eaves with minimal trim define the roofline. Large single-pane aluminum sash windows provide day lighting. A deck extends over the integrated below-grade garage and provides access to the front door of the house. A substantial exterior brick chimney services the building.

Detail for 4338 12th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400730 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Terra cotta Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Pyramidal Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 4338 12th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400730 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0