Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1014 E Galer ST E / Parcel ID 339880-0120 / Inv #

Historic Name: Bullitt, Dorothy Stimson, House Common Name:
Style: Tudor - Jacobethan Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1919
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This large house was designed in 1919 by David Myers, shortly before he formalized his partnership with James Schack and Arrigo Young. His client was Perry Truax, a vice-president of Seattle First National Bank, and his wife Mabel, who lived here for many years. In the 1940s it was owned by Wallace M. Hibbard, vice-president of the College Club, and Arthur Forsyth of Seattle First National Bank. However, the home's primary owner was Mrs. Dorothy Stimson Bullitt, who bought the house in 1948 and lived here for more than forty years until her death in 1989. Mrs. Bullitt was one of the Northwest’s most significant business leaders of the mid-20th century. Born in 1892 to one of the region's most important lumber barons, C. D. Stimson and his wife Harriet, she married Scott Bullitt, from a prominent Kentucky family, in 1918. Upon the death of her father, her brother and her husband, all during the depression of the early 1930s, she inherited management of several downtown properties. She took on the business herself, working until the properties were once again stable. Her greatest impact, however, began with the purchase of a radio station in 1947. Two years later she acquired Seattle’s first television station. From this beginning she built King Broadcasting, which covered the Pacific Northwest with pioneering local entertainment productions and nationally-recognized news coverage. . David Myers had come to Seattle from Glasgow in 1889 and worked for several local firms before leaving to study architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of technology. He returned in 1905 to work with John Graham, Sr., where he was the principal designer until 1910. He then opened his own practice, becoming well known for residential, civic and religious work, as well as his work on the Bogue Commission plan for a new civic center; he was also one the faculty of the University of Washington from 1917 to 1920. During this period he shared office space with James Schack, and in 1920 they formed a partnership with engineer Arrigo Young. This became one of the city’s most prominent firms, designing the Seattle Civic Auditorium complex, the town of Longview and numerous residences and commercial buildings. In 1929 Myers left the firm (which remained in existence until the 1990s), and returned to private practice until his death in 1936. This section of Federal Avenue is a tree-lined avenue with a fine collection of large homes, many designed by prominent architects for some of Seattle’s leading families. The street was well located for development, as it is only one block from the Broadway/10th Avenue streetcar line and abuts the open spaces of Volunteer Park and Lake View Cemetery to the east. Although the southern two blocks were platted as part of the 1883 Phinney’s Addition, little development occurred until the first decade of the 20th century, about the time that Volunteer Park was redesigned by the Olmsted Brothers.
This 2-1/2 story house has numerous characteristics of the Jacobean style, including brick cladding, a steep side-gable roof with gabled wings and extensive cast stone and stucco trim on the first story and around all the windows. The entry, in a gabled wing toward the center, has a Gothic arch, with three casement windows above. To the east is gabled bay with a wide three-sided two-story flat-roofed bay with five large six-over-nine windows on each floor. A pair of six-light casement windows are in the gable end. Toward the west end of the façade is a similar gabled bay, but smaller and without the projecting; each floor ahs a trio of large multipane windows. At the west end is a two-story enclosed porch. The east elevation has a very decorative Tudor-style brick chimney with four chimney pots and a small window in the center at the second floor level. The formal landscaping includes clipped hedge above a low brick wall, with shrubs and small trees around the lawn.

Detail for 1014 E Galer ST E / Parcel ID 339880-0120 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Communications
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Williams, Jacqueline B. The Hill with a Future: Seattle's Capitol Hill 1900-1946. Seattle: CPK Ink, 2001.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.
City of Seattle, Department of Planning and Development, Microfilm Records. Dorothy Stimson Bullitt, by Mildred Andrews

Photo collection for 1014 E Galer ST E / Parcel ID 339880-0120 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 26, 2005

Photo taken Nov 26, 2005
App v2.0.1.0