Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built:
 
Significance

This property was constructed in 1914, according to the King County Assessor 1932 property card, as a single-family residence designed in the Craftsman style. A near twin of the residence is present around the corner at 708 Third Avenue W.

The earliest known owner of the building was C.G. Swanson, according to the 1925 entry in its property card. Charles (C.G.) Swanson (ca.1876–1959) owned and resided in the house until his death in 1959. Charles Swanson was born ca. 1876 in Illinois. According to his obituary in the May 21, 1959, edition of The Seattle Times, Swanson arrived in Seattle in 1908 via San Francisco. His wife’s name was Bloye E. and they married ca. 1926, when Charles was 50 and Bloye was 39. They had one son together, Charles B., who was born ca. 1928. According to his obituary, Swanson also had two daughters: a Mrs. Arthur Anderson and L.J. McDonnell. Charles worked as a painting contractor, painting the old main post office in Seattle, the Capitol Building in Olympia, and the Olympic Hotel. He was also a member of the Eureka Lodge No. 20, F.& A.M., and a member of Oriental Chapter No. 19, Royal Arch Masons; Nile Temple of the Shrine, the Arctic Club, and the Painting & Decorating Contractors of America.

 
Appearance

Constructed in 1914, the residence at 218 W Roy Street is located mid-block on the north side of W Roy Street between Second Avenue W and Third Avenue W. The building is oriented towards W Roy Street and has a mostly rectangular plan. It’s north and south elevations measure roughly 24 feet wide, with its east and west elevations measuring 32 feet.  The house has a side gable roof clad in asphalt composition shingles. A shed dormer projects from the south slope of the roof. The 1.5-story wood-frame house has a raised basement; its foundation is unknown. The building is clad in coursed wood shingles. The main entrance is located on the south façade and is off-centered to the west. A gabled porch on squared pillars set on a low porch wall shelters the entrance. Concrete steps lead up from the sidewalk to the porch steps. The Craftsman-style building has brackets, bargeboards, and decorative rafter tails highlighting the eave overhangs. The building features intact wood, multi-lite over one sash windows protected by screen and storm windows. A brick chimney projects from the south slope of the roof. The soffits on the building feature tongue and groove beadboard. A basement level garage, permitted in 1996 along with a retaining wall (permit no. 687727), is located at the southwest corner of the property, below the house.

The building retains excellent integrity with its original cladding and wood windows, and is a good representative of the Craftsman style.

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464


Photo taken Jan 27, 2004

Photo taken Feb 26, 2018

Photo taken Feb 26, 2018

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0