Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3826 24th PL / Parcel ID 1624049148 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor, Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1931
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1931, this building was owned by Ralph O. Daniels by 1939. Mr. Daniels remodeled the attic, adding two rooms and a bathroom. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1931, this Tudor Revival style single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Twenty-Fourth Place South on a flat site at street level. This 1247 square foot, one-and-half story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 29’ by 443’, with a small front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof. Flush eaves and gables with rake trim define the roofline. Multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. A direct flight of stairs leads to the enclosed front stoop. Decorative brickwork highlights the round arched front entrance. A brick chimney services the building.

Detail for 3826 24th PL / Parcel ID 1624049148 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Brick - Clinker Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 3826 24th PL / Parcel ID 1624049148 / Inv #

Photo taken

Photo taken Dec 05, 2003
App v2.0.1.0