Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4050 25th AVE / Parcel ID 3680900155 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Modern, Ranch Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1965
Built in 1965, the residence was first occupied in November of the same year. By 1968, Bong F. Eng lived in the house. The Filipinos were part of the third wave of Asian and Pacific Islands’ immigration to Washington State, coming to Seattle starting about 1920. They came to Washington to work in agriculture or in salmon fisheries. The first Filipinos in Seattle settled in the south downtown area, near Chinatown and Japantown. Most Filipino families did not move to the Beacon Hill/North Rainier Valley area until after World War II. The percentage of Filipino students at Beacon Hill Elementary was about 6% in 1964. Today the combined Asian percentage of students at Beacon Hill Elementary is 50.2%. Cheasty Boulevard South is a parkway by formal definition with emphasis on the landscaping and a curvilinear undivided roadway that is woven into the natural park-like setting. The adjacent houses and residential buildings are secondary to the integrated concept of the parkway and have little to do with its design integrity. Residences flanking Cheasty Boulevard South to either side of Anthony Place South contribute to the understanding of the development of the down slope housing area between Cheasty Boulevard South and Martin Luther King Junior Way South as low to middle income working class residences. The general massing, heights, dates of construction, setbacks and architectural style variations define these properties as a collective entity. Properties west of the boulevard on the uphill side are comparatively recent in construction dates and character and represent an intrusion of newer properties into the parkway corridor. The City’s acquisition of undeveloped greenbelt surrounding the parkway contributes to maintaining its original character. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1965, this low, Ranch style single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Twenty-Fifth Avenue South on a flat site at street level. This 1460 square foot, single story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 28’ by 50’, with a small front stoop and rear deck. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, Roman brick clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the hip roof. Modest closed eave overhangs define the roofline. Multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. A direct flight of stairs leads to the front stoop. An attached garage services the building.

Detail for 4050 25th AVE / Parcel ID 3680900155 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick - Roman Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."
Cordova, Dorothy. Interview by Carol Tobin, August 8, 2003.
Cordova, Fred. Filipinos, Forgotten Asian Americans, A Pictorial Essay 1763-Circa 1963. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt Publishing Co., 1983.

Photo collection for 4050 25th AVE / Parcel ID 3680900155 / Inv #

Photo taken Dec 03, 2003
App v2.0.1.0