Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1722 Nob Hill AVE / Parcel ID 0809001205 / Inv #

Historic Name: Bakenhus, D. House DELETE Common Name: Bakenhus/Hastie House
Style: American Foursquare Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1903
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
DELETE The Bakenhus/Hastie House was constructed in 1903. Dietrich Bakenhus (ca 1856-ca 1913) immigrated from Germany in 1870. In 1892 while living in Illinois he married 19 year old Johanna (ca 1873-1966), also a German immigrant. By 1901, the Bakenhus family moved from Chicago to Seattle and Dietrich started working as a wagonmaker. Dietrich’s first job lasted just a year before he decided to take advantage of the booming economy and for the rest of the decade became a building speculator, buying property, building houses, and selling them. In late January 1903 Bakenhaus hired building contractor John H. R. Baehr (b. ca 1859), to construct two residences next door to each other on Nob Hill Avenue. Fellow German Baehr crossed the Atlantic Ocean in 1882 and 20 years later arrived in Seattle via Minnesota and Illinois. Baehr spent the rest of his career as a Seattle building contractor until the Depression forced his retirement. The January 27, 1903 building permit stated that contractor Baehr submitted the plans so he might be the building’s architect or he could have acquired building plans from a house catalog or plan book. Baehr completed the house within three months and in 1905 Bakenhaus deeded the house to butcher shop owner George King who owned it just a year. Recent arrivals to Seattle, John and Wiletta Hastie acquired the house, moved in, and would remain there for about 35 years until the beginning of World War II. John Hastie (1863-1930) was a prominent Seattle building contractor. Born and raised by Scottish Gaelic parents, at the age of 23, Hastie immigrated from Ontario to the United States. By 1889, newlyweds Willette and John Hastie were living in Washington with their newborn child. Seven years later he formed a contracting partnership called Hastie and Dougan, which evolved into Sound Construction and Enginnering Company. The firm constructed buildings throughout the west and in British Columbia including buildings at the University of Idaho, Clatsop County Court House at Astoria, Oregon, Flathead County Courthouse at Kalispell, Montana, and the Federal building at Los Angeles. In Washington Hastie and company built buildings at Fort Worden, Washington Capitol Building in Olympia, dry dock at Bremerton Navy Yard, and two buildings landmarked by the city of Seattle, the Eagles Building and the Northern Life Tower. One of the pallbearers at Hastie’s 1930 funeral was Washington Governor Roland Hartley. When the house was built, the easiest way downtown was to walk two blocks to 2nd and Blaine and catch a streetcar line that ran west on Blaine and turned south down Queen Anne Avenue. Later occupants. During the 1940s, Nathan and Ann G. Unger occupied the house. Nathan Unger first worked as a storekeeper for Lake Washington Shipyards and then worked for Boeing Aircraft Company. By 1954, Mrs. Julia Peters resided in the house. In 1961 Kenneth Kiesel acquired the house. Sources: "Hastie Funeral Awaits Return of Body From South" Seattle Times March 19, 1930; "Hastie Funeral Plans Wait Body" Seattle Post-Intelligencer March 20, 1930; "Hastie Rites Today at 2 P.M." Seattle Post-Intelligencer March 23, 1930 clipping file, Special Collections University of Washington Libraries "Johanna Bakenhus [obituary]" Seattle Post-Intelligencer June 12, 1966 p 57

Detail for 1722 Nob Hill AVE / Parcel ID 0809001205 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Wolfe, Wellington C. Sketches of Washingtonians. Seattle, W. C. Wolfe & Co., 1906.
Allen, Arthur H. (ed) Who's Who in Washington State. Seattle, Arthur H. Allen, Publisher, 1927.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1904-1905) 4 volumes.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1916-1919) volumes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1949-1950 update) 11 volumes.
Seattle Daily Bulletin

Photo collection for 1722 Nob Hill AVE / Parcel ID 0809001205 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0