Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Charles and Elizabeth Fickeisen House Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Georgetown
Built By: Year Built: 1913
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This residence was constructed for Charles and Elizabeth Fickeisen in 1913. The Fickeisens (or Fickerson) purchased the property in 1908 and (see GT083).

Based on field work conducted in September 2014, this historic property retains its relationship to the streetscape, historic building form and a sufficient amount of exterior historic building fabric (design features, cladding and/or window sash/openings) to contribute to the distinct character of the Georgetown neighborhood. This is an intact historic property that may possess some limited architectural and/or historic significance. Constructed ca.1913 (or earlier) as a one and one-half story, 7-room family dwelling, this house type/form (front gable with cut away side entry porch) exhibits distinctive Craftsman design features indicative of the era. According to King County tax records it was originally clad with narrow horizontal cedar siding, included cottage window sash and diamond windows (at upper floor closets each side) kneebraces, exposed rafter ends, wide overhangs and barge boards. Earliest owners of the property were Charles and Elizabeth Fickerson (8-8-08) who appear to have been the original home owners. They continued to own it until at least 1937. It is not known if they actually resided here. The 1916 directory lists their residence at a nearby location, 821 Orcas. This property may have been a real estate investment, used for rental purposes. The builder, H. Schultz, is known to have constructed at least one other Georgetown home in this era.  King County tax records indicate that the house was subsequently owned by C. Schroeder (n.d.) who appears to have retained ownership until at least 1973.

This property is directly associated with the crucial years of early Georgetown history between 1890 and 1916 when the community was fully established, as transportation links were created and local industrial operations provided employment opportunities. As land claims were formally platted and family homes constructed, residential real estate development transformed Georgetown from a rough pioneer settlement to a formally chartered city. The most significant residential and commercial construction boom occurred in the first years of the twentieth century with the consolidation of the Seattle Brewing and Malting Company’s operations in Georgetown and the construction of the new brewing facility. With the increase of industry and local commerce, Georgetown grew from a population of 1,913 in 1900 to approximately 7,000 by 1910. The community was characterized by a mixture of modest working class housing and some high-style architecture and a population made up of many newly immigrated people, especially German and Italian immigrants. Although Georgetown came to rely much more on a commercial and industrial economic base rather than agricultural, farming activities did continue to flourish in the area. However, during the latter years of this era the initial construction of the Duwamish Waterway - and the elimination of the Georgetown oxbow segment of the river - created new industrial opportunities and ensured the future role of modern industrial development.

Sources of Information:

Baist’s Real Estate Survey 1912, pl. 22 & 29

 “Historic Property Survey Report: Georgetown (Seattle, WA)” City of Seattle 1997

KC Property Record Cards 1937-1972, Puget Sound Regional Archives

Sanborn Insurance Maps: 1904-05 (Vol.1 pl.89-98), 1917 (Vol.3 pl. 353-54 & 357-59), 1929-1949 (Vol.8 pl. 869-72 & 1301-1317).

A fairly well preserved example of a popular early 20th C. residential design derived from earlier Queen Anne cottage designs and reflecting Craftsman design influences. This particular house type was commonly constructed in the Seattle area and is similar to numerous designs available through architect/builder’s plan books and Aladdin type house catalogs. This residence exhibits distinctive design features and historic building fabric that reflect popular early 20th C Craftsman design modes: a one & ½ story form with low pitched (front gable) roof form distinguished by wide barge boards, overhanging eaves and kneebraces, exposed rafter ends, a cut away entry porch, wall dormers at each side elevation, a bay window and a combination of standard double-hung and cottage type windows (some windows include ornamental prairie pattern sash). The house is clad with cedar clapboard and skirting and includes trim and architectural features that emphasize its horizontality. The design is further distinguished by unusual features drawn from the popular early 20th C. Craftsman designs: diamond windows, beaded board soffitts and a Prairie Style entry door. With the exception of minor window replacements, there are no exterior alterations of note.

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Other Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Community Planning/Development
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken Mar 17, 1997

Photo taken Sep 12, 2014

Photo taken Sep 12, 2014
App v2.0.1.0