Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 310 W Highland DR W / Parcel ID 173280-0070 / Inv #

Historic Name: Lawlor, J. W., House Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1929
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This elegant house was designed in 1929 by local architects William Thomas and Elliott Totty for Frank Dever. Thomas and Totty operated the firm Universal Plan Services, which advertised “Complete Plan and Design Services for Residential, Commercial and Industrial Buildings." Dever was a contractor who built a number of homes in the neighborhood, and may have used the firm's plans on other speculative projects. The first identified owner was J. W. Lawlor, a vice president of General Construction Company, and his wife Bessie. Mr. Lawlor died a few years later, and his widow remained until 1947, when it was purchased by Wallace M. Greene, an actuary. Later owners included George and Marie Morgan (1940s) and Herbert and Doris Griffith. Mr. Griffith was a partner in the engineering firm Bouillon Griffith Christofferson & Schairer. The house was purchased in 1979 by Lawrence Drake, a vice-president of the insurance firm Marsh & McLennan, and his wife Dawne. The current owners, Thomas Gillette, a physician, and his wife Ellen, have owned the house since the early 1980s.
This brick-clad house sits high above the street surrounded by shrubs and trees, making it difficult to see. A double garage is below. The house has a hip roof with a gable and wing form. A very shallow hip dormer is set into the eaves on the wing, with two 8-light leaded glass casement windows. The entry is in the center, with a striking wide cast stone surround and sidelights resembling bottle glass. Above the entry is an oriel window set into the eave and supported by a brick corbel; it has a leaded glass casement sash. To the west is a decorative niche surrounded by cast stone. The main volume has a three-part leaded glass window; the wing has a large arched window. Although the house is clad in red brick, it has brick quoins a slightly darker shade of red. A tall Tudor-style chimney is on the east elevation.

Detail for 310 W Highland DR W / Parcel ID 173280-0070 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Wood - Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 310 W Highland DR W / Parcel ID 173280-0070 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 14, 2003
App v2.0.1.0