Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 3120 S MOUNT BAKER BLVD S / Parcel ID 5700000510 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1922
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1922 at an estimated cost of $12,000, this residence was designed by Seattle architect, F. H. Perkins, and owned by Mr. and Mrs. Edmond N. Schumann. The Schumann’s lived previously at 5619 Rainier Avenue. They owned Schumann’s Market, a meat market at 5619 Rainier Avenue. Mr. Schumann was also partners in Schumann & Son at 3400 Rainier Avenue, Schumann & Schumann (also a meat shop), and Schumann & Buse (another meat shop).In 1923, the Schumann’s added a garage also designed by F. H. Perkins for approximately $600. The Schumann’s resided in the building through 1943. In remarks on the assessor’s records, dating to 1937, residences within the district are described as class four and five, being of good quality. The remarks noted that this was the best house in the block at the time. In 1952, Peter Nenezich purchased the residence for $12500. Earl J. Wright purchased the building in 1960 for $15,500. Shortly thereafter, Delbert R. Spicer purchased the building for the same amount. Frank H. Perkins practiced architecture in Seattle from 1903 through 1923. He came to Seattle from southern California where he designed buildings for Senator W.A. Clark. Some of his Seattle work is in the Spanish Colonial Revival style and reflects his California background. He designed many commercial buildings, apartments, and houses throughout Seattle. Among his designs are the Forest Ridge Convent and School (1910), hotels in the International District and the Denny Regrade, and numerous apartment buildings on Capitol Hill and Queen Anne. The Hunter Tract Improvement Company and R.V. and Nellie R. Ankeny filed the plat of the Mount Baker Park Addition in June 1907, and it was recorded by the County on July 15, 1907. The plat covered a seventy-block area, a total of about 200 acres. The Hunter Tract Improvement Company, formed by developer J.C. Hunter in 1905, purchased property formerly owned by David Denny from Daniel Jones, developer. By this time, the Olmsted Brothers had completed their 1903 plan for Seattle’s parks and boulevards system and recommended a “Mount Baker Park” on the proposed parkway along Lake Washington. For the initial layout and planning of the area, the Hunter Tract Improvement Company considered hiring the Olmsted Brothers in 1906, but selected George F. Cotterill of the engineering firm, Cotterill and Whitworth. Cotterill's plan was based on the early bicycle trails he designed, which were also a basis for the Olmsted plan. Landscape architect Edward O. Schwagerl, who served as Seattle’s Parks Superintendent from 1892-1895, was responsible for the landscape design. Another partner in the plat design was the Sawyer Brothers, an engineering firm. The Hunter Tract Improvement Company intended to create an exclusive upper-income community, and deeds of sale contained restrictive covenants relating to minimum setbacks and the value of structures on the lots. (No house costing less than $2,000 to $5,000 per lot, depending on location, was permitted in the subdivision.) The Mount Baker Park subdivision was restricted to single family residences only, except for a single commercial building at Thirty-Fifth Avenue South and South McClellan Street. The Mount Baker plat has a rich array of residential buildings, which include many Craftsman style houses and a variety of eclectic styles. A substantial number of the houses are designs by Seattle’s most prominent architects of their time, including Ellsworth Storey, Bebb & Mendel, Saunders & Lawton, Graham & Myers, Charles Haynes, Andrew Willatzen, Arthur Loveless, and Edwin Ivey. Charles Haynes was the corporate architect for the Hunter Improvement Company and designed many of the early houses in the subdivision. The area also includes many builder-designed Craftsman style houses, several of which were featured in Bungalow Magazine. The majority of the older houses in the neighborhood were built in two general time periods: an early phase from 1905 to about 1915 or 1920, and a second phase from 1920 to 1929. Mount Baker Park was one of the largest planned communities in Seattle at the time of its platting. It was the first subdivision to be incorporated into larger city planning efforts and included in the Olmsted Brothers’ plans for the city’s system of parks and boulevards. Public dedication of Mount Baker Park, the small parks and the boulevards was an important design feature of the Mount Baker Park subdivision. The plat layout reflects a combination of the gridiron street layout that connects with the Seattle street network and curvilinear streets and boulevards that take advantage of the natural topography of the area, including the two main boulevards, Mount Baker Boulevard and Hunter Boulevard. The layout of the north-south streets south of Mount Baker Park, in particular, takes advantage of the views from the ridge that slopes down to the lake. The Mount Baker Park Addition appealed to a wealthy clientele who were attracted to life in an exclusive planned “suburban” community. Many of Seattle’s leading citizens have resided in the area over the years. The residences flanking Mount Baker Boulevard South provide integral character-defining elements to the overall boulevard composition through their purposeful orientation towards the curvilinear boulevard, their general massing, heights, setbacks, dates of construction, and well-preserved set of architectural style variations. The modest-sized building lots are configured as part of the overall boulevard design to create an architectural edge to the linear open space that includes the landscaped median between the divided roadways, the hard surfaced roadways, curbs and sidewalks and the front yards and lawns. The bordering residences and their individual building elements remain largely intact from the 1920’s, conveying the original well-to-do middle class composition of the neighborhood. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
 
Appearance
Built in 1922, this massive Craftsman influenced Arts & Crafts style single-family dwelling stands on a single irregular corner lot; shaped to match the contour of Mount Baker Boulevard. This building fronts on both Mount Baker Boulevard South and Thirty-second Avenue South. The building is elevated approximately 5’ above Mount Baker Boulevard. This 1509 square foot one-and-a-half story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 35’ by 43’, with a 7’ by 23’ projecting front porch and a 6’ by 9’ back porch. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame superstructure; re-clad within the last thirty years with aluminum siding. The upper half story features stucco with decorative stick work. A pronounced curved dentiled cornice demarcates the transition between the half story and attic. Decorative panels with wood bulls eye detailing band the half story space over the front porch. Asphalt composition roofing covers the gable roofed residence and porches. Wide eave overhangs exhibit exposed rafters with flared bargeboards and exposed purlins on the gable ends. Wood double-hung multiple lite windows punctuate the basement, first and second stories. A triple window with a horizontal transom flanks the main entrance. The main entrance doorway features sidelights. Groupings of four windows on the front gable end and a band of six along the side gable provide day lighting to the half story spaces. Two segmented bay windows project from the side gable end with a low, hipped roof having pronounced brackets spanning both bays. All windows feature painted wood trim. A substantial brick chimney services the building. Clusters of colonettes carried on recently painted battered brick piers support the projecting front porch roof and respective half story living space. A freestanding single vehicle garage set to the side of the main residence compliments the stylistic detailing and material usage of the main residence. Gutters with downspouts provide drainage.

Detail for 3120 S MOUNT BAKER BLVD S / Parcel ID 5700000510 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Metal - Aluminum Siding, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Integrity
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Architects Reference Files, Special Collections and Preservation Division, University of Washington Libraries.
Architects file cards, Seattle Department of Neighborhood, Historic Preservation Program.
Dietz, Duane, “Architects and Landscape Architects of Seattle, 1876 to 1959 and Beyond,” unpublished paper. University of Washington Libraries, July 1993.
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.
De Freece, Helen N, “Reminiscences of Early Years in Mount Baker Park,” Seattle Times, August 16, 1959.
Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources. Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. Consultants: Folke Nyberg, Victor Steinbrueck. 1976.
Mount Baker Park Improvement Club, “Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park.” Seattle, 1914. Reprinted 1987. Gerrard Beattie and Knapp Realtors.

Photo collection for 3120 S MOUNT BAKER BLVD S / Parcel ID 5700000510 / Inv #


Photo taken Aug 21, 2003

Photo taken Aug 21, 2003

Photo taken Aug 21, 2003

Photo taken Aug 21, 2003

Photo taken Aug 21, 2003

Photo taken

Photo taken

Photo taken Mar 10, 2004

Photo taken Mar 10, 2004
App v2.0.1.0