This simple flat-roofed commercial vernacular building is in largely intact condition. Cladding is primarily vertical boards, with clapboard on two small (historic) additions on the north and east (rear). Display windows on the front and south side have wide wood muntins and surrounds that resemble the original sash and may be original. The corner display window was added in 1938. A small display window toward the rear has replaced a pair of double-hung windows. On the rear of the lot, on the alley, is a simple garage with rustic cladding.
Content for this form was updated in 2018 as part of the Uptown Historic Resources Survey.
Constructed ca. 1925, this one-story building features a rectangular plan. Located at the northeast corner of Thomas Street and Queen Anne Avenue N, this building faces west overlooking Queen Anne Avenue N. An alley abuts the east side of the site. A detached garage stands to the rear, east of the building, along Thomas Street. The site consists of gravel parking and open space along the north sides of the building. Several trees grow on the east portion of the site. Planting strips along the south and west sides of the site have been paved over.
A flat roof with parapets and clad in rolled roofing shelters interior spaces. A shed roof addition extends off the east side; this roof is clad with asphalt composition shingles.
A foundation supports the platform frame structure. Drop lap siding with corner boards clads the building’s north facade; vertical board clads the front west and side south facades. The garage is clad with drop lap siding and corner boards along the south and east sides, with horizontal boards on the west side.
Wood sash, single-lite windows with wood casings and sills provide day lighting on the south and east facades. Wood sash 1:1 windows on the north side and east facades provide day lighting. The west facade features a storefront consisting of a central doorway flanked by three fixed-sash windows. The doorway is comprised of a two-lite transom above a pair of wood doors, each with a tall vertical lite. Vertical boards clad the low bulkheads. A cloth awning projects over the doorway.
Secondary entrances access the building on the north side of the shed roof addition, and the east side of an addition on the north side of the building.
Alterations include added vertical board siding on the west and south facades and conversion of the pair of double hung sash windows at the east end of the south facade to a single lite sash. Previous work rebuilt the display windows on either side of the front entrance. They are like the original, but with wider muntins. The grocery previously had a retractable cloth awning that spanned the entire west facade. Previous work installed the existing contemporary garage doors.