Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2319 15th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600520 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1905
Built in 1905, this building was owned by M. A. Wagner by 1912. Mr. Wagner built a wood shed on the property, repaired the foundation, and remodeled the building in 1913. By 1922, Mr. Wagner had converted the shed into a garage. Blaze and Agnes Zavec purchased the building in July of 1926 and constructed a garage on the site the same year. Mr. Zavec worked as a steelworker with Novelty Ornamental Iron and Wire Works. The Zavec’s previously resided at 2312 15th Avenue South. They remained at 2319 15th Avenue South through 1958. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1905, this vernacular style, originally two-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Fifteenth Avenue South on a flat site 3’ above street level. This 1248 square foot, one-and-a-half story building with a full basement features a nearly square plan, measuring approximately 30’ by 32’, with two recessed front stoops. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the gable roof. Broad eave and gable overhangs with bargeboards define the roofline. Wood sash multiple-pane windows with painted wood casings provide day lighting. A direct flight of stairs leads to the front stoops.

Detail for 2319 15th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600520 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Block
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 2319 15th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600520 / Inv #

Photo taken

Photo taken Oct 24, 2003

Photo taken Oct 24, 2003
App v2.0.1.0