Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1507 S HILL ST S / Parcel ID 1498301095 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare, Vernacular Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1903
Built ca 1903, this building was owned by 1909 by Ernest Costanzo. In 1919, building tenant, Joseph Smallman, built a portable garage. In 1928, Mr. Costanzo removed the existing post and pier foundation to construct a poured concrete foundation under the residence. Mr. Costanzo was listed at 2323 Twelfth Avenue South and was a brush maker at Richards Brush Company. Rosia Costanzo resided in 1507½ and was an ironworker with Novelty Ornamental Iron and Wire Works. By 1944, Michael Yurina lived in the building and Leonard R. Lindblom lived in 1507½. By 1954, Merle Yearwood lived in the building. Harry C. Reese purchased the building in September of 1955 for $11,000., and it sold again to Lawrence A. Reese in March of 1958. L. C. Kemp bought the building in July of 1962 for $13,750, and Akim Mayenda bought it in October of 1966 for $13,500. A neighborhood of Italian immigrants and their businesses developed in the North Rainier Valley and northeast Beacon Hill. Starting around 1900, Italian immigrants came to Seattle to work in coal mines and as construction laborers and farmers. The Italian immigrants may have settled in this area because of its inexpensive housing, convenient location near downtown, and potential for small farm plots in the North Rainier Valley. This neighborhood, which became known as “Garlic Gulch” or “Little Italy,” centered on South Atlantic Street and Rainier Avenue South. In 1915, about 200 families lived in a 90-square-block area along Rainier Avenue from Lane Street on the north to Mount Baker Park on the south. Many Italian-owned businesses were located in the area, including food imports, Borracchini’s Bakery, Oberto Sausage Company, produce stands, grocery stores, a nursery (Malmo’s), drug stores, and other shops. Our Lady of Mount Virgin Catholic Church at 1531 Bradner Place South, built in 1913, was the hub of the Italian community and operated a Catholic School that offered Italian lessons. Most of the remaining structures in the Italian neighborhood were razed during construction of I-90 in the 1970s and 1980s. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built ca 1903, this substantial, American Foursquare style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular corner lot. The building is oriented to South Hill Street on a sloping site at street level. This 716 square foot, two-story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 26’ by 31’, with a wrap around corner porch. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, concrete/asbestos shingle-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the hip roof and front facing hipped roof dormer. Broad eave overhangs with exposed rafters define the roofline. Wood sash 1:1 windows with painted wood casings provide day lighting. A direct flight of stairs leads to the front porch. Contemporary alterations enclosed a portion of the first story porch and added a low railing to the second story. An internal brick chimney services the building.

Detail for 1507 S HILL ST S / Parcel ID 1498301095 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle - Concrete/Asbestos Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Multiple Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."
Nicandri, David L. Italians in Washington State: Emigration 1853-1924. Olympia, WA: Washington State American Revolution Commission, 1978.
Roe, Nellie Virginia. “The Italian Immigrant in Seattle,” Master of Arts Thesis, University of Washington, 1915.

Photo collection for 1507 S HILL ST S / Parcel ID 1498301095 / Inv #

Photo taken

Photo taken Oct 23, 2003

Photo taken Oct 23, 2003

Photo taken Oct 23, 2003
App v2.0.1.0