Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2610 19th AVE / Parcel ID 3079500230 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Vernacular Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1927
Built in 1927, this building was owned by H. P. Roe. Mr. Roe lived previously at 4841 Raymond Street. By 1938 through 1965, John L. Tracy resided in the building. He purchased the building in May of 1939. By 1968, Bark K. Wong lived in the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1927, this compact, Craftsman-influenced, Arts & Crafts style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Nineteenth Avenue South on a flat site at street level. This 867 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a full daylight basement features an irregular plan, measuring approximately 25’ by 33’, with an 8’ by 6’ front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the clipped, side gable roof and shed roof dormer. Wood sash multiple- and single-pane windows with painted wood casings provide day lighting. A short flight of stairs leads to the front stoop. Brick piers support tapered boxed wood columns carrying gable stoop roof. An exterior gable end brick chimney services the building. The unusual cladding consisting of narrow and wide boards (also seen on 2612 Nineteenth Avenue South) sets this building apart as distinctive within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 2610 19th AVE / Parcel ID 3079500230 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 2610 19th AVE / Parcel ID 3079500230 / Inv #

Photo taken Oct 30, 2003

Photo taken Oct 30, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0