Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1437 HINDS PL / Parcel ID / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1930
Built in 1930, this building was owned by M. B. Moss. By 1951 through 1968, Blanche A. Brinshead lived in the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1930, this compact, Tudor Revival style, single-family cottage stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to South Hinds Street on a flat site at street level. This 1131 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 29’ by 39’, with a small front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick and stucco (gable ends) clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the gable front and wing roof. Flush eaves and gables define the roofline. Wood sash 1:1 windows provide day lighting. Front facade windows feature a large single pane with multiple-pane transoms above. A short flight of stairs leads to the front stoop. A projecting gable roof shelters the stoop. A prominent front facade exterior brick chimney services the building.

Detail for 1437 HINDS PL / Parcel ID / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Unknown No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 1437 HINDS PL / Parcel ID / Inv #

Photo taken Jan 02, 2004

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0