Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 7000 Linden AVE / Parcel ID 3362401725 / Inv #

Historic Name: Abbey House Common Name: Abbey House
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Green Lake
Built By: Year Built: 1903
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Abbey House was constructed about 1903. In late Fall 1902, the same year Hillmans Lake Front Division #1 subdivision was created, carpenter Philip Abbey (1866-1937) purchased one lot from its developer Clarence Hillman. Abbey probably chose this lot because the Green Lake streetcar line ran along the street fronting the property. Abbey, the likely builder of the house, was listed as a carpenter residing at 7000 Aurora (later renamed Linden) in 1904. Born in Iowa, Philip Abbey worked as a cabinet-maker with his father. In 1888, he moved to Montana and worked in shingle mills before heading west with his wife Kate to Washington. After residing there for about a year they moved to South Park, a town that the City of Seattle would soon annex. In January 1907, after the Abbeys sold the house to Frank Mitchell, the couple moved to Gold Bar, Snohomish County to work in a sawmill. They next moved to Hoodsport, Mason County and ran the general store and Hoodsport Post Office until the late 1920s. Later occupants. Numerous occupants have resided in the house. In early 1907 wagon hauler Frank Mitchell, his wife and three sons (ages 10, 5, and a newborn) moved into the house and lived there about two years. In 1922 George A. Nelson purchased the house and rented it out. In 1928 furrier Eric Evander and wife Caroline lived in the house. By 1928 George A. and Jennie R. Nelson moved into the house. George Nelson worked for meat wholesaler Swift and Company. During World War II, Seattle Transit operator Gordon Grant and wife Helen lived at 70th and Linden. By the end of the 1940s Wesley and Dorothy Curry moved in. Wesley Curry employed by Pacific Telegraph and Telegraph as a station installer. In 1954 an administration assistant for the Philippines Consulate Conrado De Castro and wife Caroline lived there. In 1957 Horace Martyn bought the house. At the time of the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair, Joseph Karringhizer occupied the house. Variant address: Prior to Highway 99 being built the house address was 7000 Aurora Avenue. The Abbey House appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 100 years old) and minimal alterations. Sources: "Philip Abbey Passes Monday Hoodsport Home" Shelton Mason County Journal May 18, 1937. Clipping file, Special Collections, University of Washington Library.
The front gable vernacular house was constructed about 1903. Shed dormers are on north and south elevations. The west elevation full width recessed porch has replaced porch posts with tall brick bases. On the south elevation is box bay window with a shed roof. Double hung windows throughout. The Abbey House is sited on a corner lot.

Detail for 7000 Linden AVE / Parcel ID 3362401725 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Stone
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1916-1919) volumes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1949-1950 update) 11 volumes.

Photo collection for 7000 Linden AVE / Parcel ID 3362401725 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 23, 2004
App v2.0.1.0